Question about law of conservation of mechanical energy

In summary, the law of conservation of momentum applies to isolated systems, meaning there are no external forces. In terms of conservation of mechanical energy, an isolated system means that all external forces are conservative and can be accounted for in the potential energy term. This includes gravity, as it is a conservative force and is already taken into account in the potential energy equation.
Sinistar9
Hello, i was wondering if someone can help me out.
I finished law of momentum, and learned that for the conservation of momentum to be applicable, the system must be isolated.

An isolated system means no external forces, correct?

if i am correct, then i don't understand the law of conservation of mechanical energy.
it says that conservation of mechanical energy must be in an isolated system.

this is K + U (initals) = K + U (finals)

but the U term is mgh, which has gravity in it. isn't gravity an external force?
so how is this an isolated system?

Physics news on Phys.org
For energy, Earth is considered part of the system. Since the change in energy imparted to the Earth as a result of for instance, "falling toward a ball," is negligible, we can ignore the change in the Earth's energy in this equation as it essentially cancels itself out. That is essentially the basis of the way we define gravitational potential energy for these common situations.

Last edited:
That's a good question. Let's take a simple example.

If a 1 kg stone falls under gravity, from a height of 10 metres it begins with a U of 1*9.81*10 = 98.1 Joules.

According to the conservation of energy, it ends with a velocity given by 98.1 = 1/2 * mv2
so v= sqrt(2*98.1) = 14 m/sec

Is momentum conserved? Initial momentum is zero. final momentum is 14.

So an external force (gravity) messes with the momentum conservation but not the energy conservation.
It's a bit subtle but with practice you'll learn to recognise situations where momentum and/or energy are being 'injected' into a system (or taken out) and how to handle it. Talk to your teacher about it.

For energy conservation, it is sufficient that all external forces are conservative - that is equivalent to "you can introduce a potential energy". Gravity is conservative.
"No external forces" is required for momentum conservation only.

Sinistar9 said:
An isolated system means no external forces, correct?

if i am correct, then i don't understand the law of conservation of mechanical energy.
it says that conservation of mechanical energy must be in an isolated system.

this is K + U (initals) = K + U (finals)

but the U term is mgh, which has gravity in it. isn't gravity an external force?
so how is this an isolated system?

You've already taken gravity into account by way of the potential energy, so it doesn't count as an "external force" in your definition.

A better statement of the law of conservation of mechanical energy is that the sum of K + U is constant, provided that there are no non-conservative forces (e.g. friction), and that you've taken all the conservative forces into account in the potential energy U.

1. What is the law of conservation of mechanical energy?

The law of conservation of mechanical energy states that the total amount of mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) in a closed system remains constant over time, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

2. How is the law of conservation of mechanical energy applied in real life?

The law of conservation of mechanical energy can be observed in various real-life situations, such as a roller coaster ride or a pendulum swinging back and forth. In both cases, the initial potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, but the total mechanical energy remains constant.

3. What happens if there are external forces acting on a system?

If there are external forces acting on a system, the law of conservation of mechanical energy does not apply. In this case, the total mechanical energy of the system will change, as some of the energy will be transferred to or from the system.

4. Can mechanical energy be destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of mechanical energy, mechanical energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one form to another within a closed system.

5. Is the law of conservation of mechanical energy applicable to all forms of energy?

No, the law of conservation of mechanical energy only applies to mechanical energy, which is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy. It does not take into account other forms of energy, such as thermal or chemical energy.