How to obtain Electrical Characteristics/Model of a lump of Powder ?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the electrical characteristics and model of a lump of powder. The proposed method is to conduct an experiment to measure the resistance, inductance, and capacitance of the powder in order to construct an equivalent circuit. The accuracy of the measurements will vary depending on the voltage and frequency used and the type of test equipment available. It is also mentioned that the powder may not have an effect on inductance. The purpose of determining these characteristics is not specified.
toxic_faisal
How to obtain Electrical Characteristics/Model of a lump of Powder ??

Dear All,

I have some powder given to us by a chemical engineer. Now, i lumped this in a syringe and connected wires on both sides.

Can you give me an idea of an experiment that I can conduct to provide me with the electrical model of the powder, i-e, the resistance, inductance and capacitance , so i can construct an equivalent circuit for this element.

Thanks in advance,

:)

Engineering news on Phys.org

A powder? I would expect that inductance and capacitance is negligible, and resistance dominates.
You can try to build a resonator with an additional coil to measure capacitance (via the resonance frequency), but don't expect proper results. In the same way, it would be possible to measure inductance.

I am sorry can you specify how can i build a resonator with this set-up ?

is there no other more reliable manner to form this experiment ?

toxic_faisal said:
Dear All,

I have some powder given to us by a chemical engineer. Now, i lumped this in a syringe and connected wires on both sides.

Can you give me an idea of an experiment that I can conduct to provide me with the electrical model of the powder, i-e, the resistance, inductance and capacitance , so i can construct an equivalent circuit for this element.

Thanks in advance,

:)

Can you say more about what you overall task is? Why are you wanting to electrically characterize the powder? What are you thinking about using it for? Will you be packing it into an axial tube like that for use? Will the tube be hermetically sealed, or will humidity be able to change the characteristics of the component?

What electrical test equipment do you have available to you? Do you have access to an Impedance Analyzer instrument, like an HP 4194 or similar? What about signal generators and oscilloscopes?

I have some amounts of powder inserted in a syringe at a specific pressure. It is tighly packed and has two wires on both sides connected to it.

I am just looking for a way to know the resistance, inductance and capacitance through this element. And i want to know if there is any way to determine the equivalent circuit of this lump ?

is that clearer ?

toxic_faisal said:
I have some amounts of powder inserted in a syringe at a specific pressure. It is tighly packed and has two wires on both sides connected to it.

I am just looking for a way to know the resistance, inductance and capacitance through this element. And i want to know if there is any way to determine the equivalent circuit of this lump ?

is that clearer ?

No, it is not. Please answer each of my questions that I asked. Thank you.

How accurate should measurements be?
The measurements will probably depend on the voltage and frequency the powder is tested at.

For resistance use a variable voltage DC power supply, a current meter to measure the current and a volt meter to measure the voltage.

If the powder is not magnetic (Check with a magnet) then the powder probably has no effect on the inductance.

Check the capacitance with a capacitance meter or a LCR meter.

Again the results are likely to vary with the test instruments used and the voltage and frequency tested at.

Just curious, why do you want to know the resistance, inductance and capacitance?

1. How do you obtain the electrical characteristics/model of a lump of powder?

To obtain the electrical characteristics/model of a lump of powder, you will need to conduct several experiments and measurements. This may include testing the conductivity, resistivity, and dielectric properties of the powder. You may also need to create a mathematical model based on the experimental data.

2. What equipment is needed to obtain the electrical characteristics/model of a lump of powder?

The equipment needed will depend on the specific characteristics being measured. However, some common equipment may include a multimeter, conductivity meter, dielectric constant meter, and impedance analyzer. You may also need specialized equipment such as a powder flow tester or particle size analyzer.

3. What is the process for obtaining the electrical characteristics/model of a lump of powder?

The process will involve several steps, including preparing the powder sample, conducting experiments, and analyzing the data. The specific process may vary depending on the type of powder and characteristics being measured. It is important to carefully follow established guidelines and procedures to ensure accurate results.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations in obtaining the electrical characteristics/model of a lump of powder?

There may be some challenges and limitations in obtaining the electrical characteristics/model of a lump of powder. These may include variations in the powder composition, temperature, and humidity, which can affect the results. Additionally, some powders may be difficult to manipulate or may require specialized equipment, making the process more complex.

5. How can the electrical characteristics/model of a lump of powder be used in practical applications?

The electrical characteristics/model of a lump of powder can be used in various practical applications. For example, it can help in designing and optimizing powder-based processes such as powder coating, pharmaceutical manufacturing, and powder metallurgy. It can also be used to determine the quality, stability, and performance of powder-based products.