Help Mom There Are Liberals Under My Bed

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, "Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed" is an illustrated book from the "Help! Mom!" series that caters to conservative parents looking to instill their traditional values in their children, as well as adults seeking a humorous gift. It takes a different approach from other political cartoons, as it seems to attack liberals rather than support a specific political stance. However, this can be seen as a matter of free speech. Some find the title insulting, but the book portrays liberals as the cause of business failure due to taxes and regulations. Overall, opinions on the book vary.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed is the book conservative parents have been seeking. This illustrated book the first in the "Help! Mom!" series from Kids Ahead is perfect for parents who seek to share their traditional values with their children, as well as adults who wish to give a humorous gift to a friend. [continued]
http://www.worldaheadpublishing.com/titles/lumb.php#

Political messaging has long been a part of children's cartoons. What makes this different, it seems to me, is that this is more of an attack on liberals than a political statement supporting a specific position - stop the war, stop pollution, stop the arms race, etc. But I guess this is a matter of freedom of speech. And of course the irony is that the "Conservatives" have proven to be the biggest spenders of all! So perhaps the publisher can be sued for fraud?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I must agree Ivan, that from the title it seems deliberately aimed at breeding hatred rather than presenting a particular viewpoint. But I have not read the book so I can't really comment on the content.

Last edited:
Well, even the title the book is pretty insulting, and I'm not even a liberal! But the jist of the book is that the liberals [complete with a Kennedy look-alike] put a lemonade stand out of business with taxes and regulations.

I had to verify this wasn't an adult humor book. <shakes head> it's takes all kinds.

I'm just so glad that I grew up in a home so mixed up that I had a red neck atheist father and a devout Roman Catholic liberal mother. :biggrin:

What is "Help Mom There Are Liberals Under My Bed" about?

"Help Mom There Are Liberals Under My Bed" is a children's book written by Katharine DeBrecht. It is a humorous and satirical take on political differences and how they can be perceived by young children.

What is the message of the book?

The main message of the book is to teach children that it is okay to have different opinions and beliefs, and that it is important to respect and listen to others, even if they don't agree with you.

Why is the book controversial?

The book has been deemed controversial by some due to its political themes and the use of satire. Some have argued that it promotes a divisive and polarizing message to young children, while others see it as a harmless and humorous take on politics.

Is the book appropriate for children?

The book is intended for children ages 4-8, but parents should use their own discretion when deciding if it is appropriate for their child. The book does touch on political themes, so it may be more suitable for older children who have a better understanding of politics.

What is the author's intention in writing this book?

The author has stated that her intention was to create a fun and entertaining book that would spark discussions about politics and differences among children and their families. She also wanted to promote the message of respecting others' opinions and being open to different perspectives.