Understanding Laser Output: Power Levels and Temporal Profile Revealed

• Thread starter vivek.iitd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the statement tells us that the pump laser outputs 500-μJ pulses at 1.064 μm with a 12.5-kHz repetition rate. The power output can be calculated by multiplying the pulses per second by the energy per pulse. It is not clear what is meant by "temporal profile" and more information is needed to determine it. The peak power can be calculated by multiplying the pulse energy and pulse duration, but it is important to consider the units involved. Additionally, the temporal profile cannot be accurately calculated with the given information and would require specialized equipment.
vivek.iitd
What does the following statement tells about the laser output, i can understand the literal meaning but what does it tell about the power levels, temporal profile etc.?

"the pump laser delivers 500-μJ pulses at 1.064 μm with a 12.5-kHz repetition rate"

Thank you for your time.

Science news on Phys.org
You can find the power output by multiplying the pulses per second by the energy per pulse. I don't know exactly what you mean by "temporal profile" though.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, as you said multiplying Energy per pulse and repetition rate will give me Average power. And if i have pulse duration = 20ns, then Pulse energy*pulse duration will give me Peak power right?

By temporal profile i mean, as this is a pulsed laser, so how the power of a pulse will vary as a function of time. If we consider it to be a Gaussian, then we can write it like

P = Po*exp(-(t/T)^2) where Po is the peak power as calculated above and T is FWHM.

Am i right?

vivek.iitd said:
Thank you for your reply, as you said multiplying Energy per pulse and repetition rate will give me Average power. And if i have pulse duration = 20ns, then Pulse energy*pulse duration will give me Peak power right?

I think it depends on if the 500 microjoules is an "average" or not. If you apply 100 joules for the first and last 10% of the pulse, but 700 joules for the rest, your peak power will not be the same as it would be if it is a steady 500 for the entire pulse.

By temporal profile i mean, as this is a pulsed laser, so how the power of a pulse will vary as a function of time. If we consider it to be a Gaussian, then we can write it like

P = Po*exp(-(t/T)^2) where Po is the peak power as calculated above and T is FWHM.

Am i right?

I'm not sure honestly, but I don't think there's enough information to figure out the temporal profile. But you could assume a profile if you want to. Someone else will have to look at the equations though, I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks.

vivek.iitd said:

Am i right?
Almost. To calculate Po, you need to set the integral of that expression equal to the pulse energy, 500 uJ.

okay thank you.

Er, hold on;

vivek.iitd said:
Pulse energy*pulse duration will give me Peak power right?

Think about this for a moment. This suggests that the longer the pulse duration, the higher the peak power. Clearly this is not correct. Instead it is the shorter the pulse duration the higher the pulse energy.

If in doubt, consider the units involved. Power = Energy/time.

Also, you cannot calculate the temporal profile with the information given in the original post. We can calculate some integrals, but that is about it. One would need to use a fast detector and an oscilloscope to measure the intensity profile of such a laser as a function of time.

Claude.

ohh sorry, yes it should be Power=Energy per pulse/Pulse duration.

What is laser output power?

Laser output power refers to the amount of energy emitted by a laser per unit time. It is typically measured in watts (W) and can range from milliwatts (mW) to megawatts (MW) depending on the type of laser.

How is laser output power measured?

Laser output power is measured using a power meter, which typically consists of a sensor that absorbs the laser beam and converts it into an electrical signal. The power meter then displays the power level in watts or a percentage of the maximum power the laser is capable of producing.

What is temporal profile in relation to laser output?

Temporal profile refers to the variation of laser output power over time. It can be measured by plotting the laser power output over a specific time interval, which can reveal important information about the behavior of the laser, such as pulse duration and repetition rate.

Why is understanding laser output important?

Understanding laser output is important for a variety of reasons. It allows scientists and engineers to optimize laser performance, ensure safety, and accurately predict the effects of the laser on various materials. It also helps in the development of new laser technologies and applications.

How can laser output power be controlled?

Laser output power can be controlled through a variety of methods, including adjusting the input power, changing the optical components, and using Q-switching or mode-locking techniques. The specific method used depends on the type of laser and the desired output power level and temporal profile.