Calculate Density of Gas Mixture for Oil Burner

In summary, the formula for calculating the density of a gas mixture for an oil burner is Density = (Mass of gas mixture / Volume of gas mixture). The mass of the gas mixture can be determined by measuring the individual masses of each component gas or by using the ideal gas law (PV = nRT). This formula is universal and can be used for any type of oil burner, but the specific values for mass and volume may vary. The density of the gas mixture can greatly impact the efficiency of the oil burner, with too high or too low densities leading to potential issues. Several factors can affect the density of the gas mixture, including the type and amount of gases used, temperature, pressure, and impurities. It is important to carefully
brajh11
Anybody knows how can i calculate the density of:

Light heating oil (C12H23): 840 kg/m3 and air: 1.185 kg/m3

The system is: oil burner in a small burning device and i want to calculate what density is in the inside the burning device.

I want to know the density for LAMBDA: 1.2

Operating conditions:
Pressure of oil injection is: 12 bar
Max. pressure of burning device is: 2 bar

Engineering news on Phys.org
Consider as total mass:

mass = density X volume = den X V

den (Total) Vol (Total) = den (oil) V (oil) + den (air) V (air)

and solve for den (Total)

1. What is the formula for calculating the density of a gas mixture for an oil burner?

The formula for calculating the density of a gas mixture is: Density = (Mass of gas mixture / Volume of gas mixture). This formula can be used to determine the density of any gas mixture, including those used in oil burners.

2. How do I determine the mass of the gas mixture for the calculation?

The mass of the gas mixture can be determined by measuring the individual masses of each component gas and then adding them together. Alternatively, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the number of moles of each gas and then use their respective molar masses to determine the mass of each component.

3. Can I use the same formula for different types of oil burners?

Yes, the formula for calculating the density of a gas mixture is universal and can be used for any type of oil burner. However, the specific values for mass and volume will vary depending on the specific gas mixture being used in the oil burner.

4. How does the density of the gas mixture affect the efficiency of the oil burner?

The density of the gas mixture can have a significant impact on the efficiency of an oil burner. If the density is too high, it can cause the burner to burn too hot, leading to potential damage. If the density is too low, it can result in incomplete combustion and therefore, a less efficient burn.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the density of the gas mixture for an oil burner?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the density of a gas mixture for an oil burner. These include the type and amount of gases used, temperature, pressure, and any impurities in the gas mixture. It is important to carefully measure and monitor these factors to ensure the correct density is achieved for optimal performance of the oil burner.