Gas Burner and Combustion Chamber Design

In summary: What is the standard ratio of combustion chamber diameter to mixture diameter?I know combustion happen in the combustion chamber instead of the mixture tube because of air speed in mixture and mixture diameter. Also, I know the combustion chamber diameter has to greater than the mixture tube diameter. But I don't know the minimum ratio of combustion chamber's diameter to mixture tube's diameter.The ideal combustion chamber size is mainly determined by the heat release rate and the heat of reaction.3. How can I predict and control of flue gases speed in the exhaust?Actually, I can measure air flow and speed in mixture input valve, also for fuel. But I think gas flow and speed in the exhaust is greater than a mixture
EdY
Hi guys,

I want to design a gas burner and combustion chamber.
I use natural gas as fuel. I want to control air to fuel ration, so air flow has to control.
I have an air compressor as air flow source.
Clearly, it's needed a mixture tube before the combustion chamber.

Now I have some questions.
1. What is adequate speed in mixture? Absolutely low air speed in mixture cause combustion in mixture tube and high air speed cause turning down the flame in the combustion chamber.
2. What is the standard ratio of combustion chamber diameter to mixture diameter?
I know combustion happen in the combustion chamber instead of the mixture tube because of air speed in mixture and mixture diameter. Also, I know the combustion chamber diameter has to greater than the mixture tube diameter. But I don't know the minimum ratio of combustion chamber's diameter to mixture tube's diameter.
3. How can I predict and control of flue gases speed in the exhaust?
Actually, I can measure air flow and speed in mixture input valve, also for fuel. But I think gas flow and speed in the exhaust is greater than a mixture because of combustion's heat and volume increasing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What are you designing? A motor? A heater? Something else?

Dr. Courtney said:
What are you designing? A motor? A heater? Something else?
I want to design a heater.
The air to fuel ratio controlling is the most important future for this heater.

What will you be heating? A fine device that might do what you want was built more then a 150 years ago.

bunsenburnerdiagram.jpg

See Bunsen Burner,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunsen_burner

The air to fuel ratio controlling is the most important future for this heater. So the input air must be controlled.
Please see below picture.
Gas Burner Sketch.jpg

Actually I want to analyze exhaust gases in various air to fuel ratio.

EdY said:
1. What is adequate speed in mixture? Absolutely low air speed in mixture cause combustion in mixture tube and high air speed cause turning down the flame in the combustion chamber.
If your local mixture velocity is lower than your local burning speed, the flame will propagate upstream through your device. To prevent this, you must ensure either that at the flame holder the mixture velocity is always higher than the burning speed, or that the flame will extinguish (by cooling) when it travels through the flame holder. You can find estimates of laminar burning speeds and quenching diameters in most books on combustion physics/engineering (C.K. Law - Combustion Physics).
The blow-off velocity is more difficult to determine because it depends on turbulence, flame-acoustics interaction and the geometry. You can find some estimates for flames like the Bunsen flame mentioned above.

1. What is the purpose of a gas burner and combustion chamber?

The gas burner and combustion chamber are essential components of a combustion system, used to generate heat for various industrial and household applications. The burner mixes fuel gas and air in the correct proportions and ignites it to produce a flame, while the combustion chamber provides a controlled environment for the burning process.

2. How do you design an efficient gas burner and combustion chamber?

Efficiency in gas burner and combustion chamber design can be achieved by considering factors such as the type of fuel, air-to-fuel ratio, flame stability, and heat transfer. The design should also account for the specific application and any environmental regulations related to emissions.

3. What is the difference between a premix and diffusion gas burner?

Premix and diffusion gas burners differ in the way they mix fuel and air before combustion. In a premix burner, the fuel and air are mixed before entering the combustion chamber, resulting in a more uniform and efficient combustion process. In a diffusion burner, the fuel and air are introduced separately, allowing for a more flexible flame shape and temperature control.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting materials for a combustion chamber?

The choice of materials for a combustion chamber depends on factors such as the operating temperature, chemical composition of the fuel, and any corrosive byproducts of combustion. It is important to select materials that can withstand these conditions while maintaining structural integrity and minimizing heat loss.

5. How can I optimize the combustion process in a gas burner and combustion chamber?

To optimize the combustion process, it is important to regularly monitor and adjust the air-to-fuel ratio, maintain proper flame stability, and ensure efficient heat transfer. Other factors such as proper maintenance and regular cleaning of the burner and combustion chamber can also contribute to improved performance and efficiency.