Function + tangent line = 0

In summary: Yes, there is a way to find the value of x at which f+g=0 other than the "brute force" way of inverting the expression.
ekkilop
Say we have two functions with the following properties:

[itex]f(x)[/itex] is negative and monotonically approaches zero as [itex]x[/itex] increases.
[itex]g(x,y)[/itex] is a linear function in [itex]x[/itex] and is, for any given [itex]y[/itex], tangent to [itex]f(x)[/itex] at some point [itex]x_0(y)[/itex] that depends on the choice of [itex]y[/itex] in a known way.
Additionally, for any given [itex]y[/itex], [itex]f(x) \leq g(x,y)[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex], with equality only at [itex]x = x_0[/itex].

It is then true that for each [itex]y[/itex], [itex]f(x) + g(x,y) = 0[/itex] at precisely one value of [itex]x[/itex]. I'm trying to find this value.

Writing [itex]g[/itex] as a tangent line;

[itex]g(x,y) = f(x_0(y)) + f'(x_0(y))(x - x_0(y))[/itex]

seems to be the obvious place to start, but trying to solve the above equaiton I find myself forced to try to invert [itex]f(x)[/itex] at some point, which unfortunately cannot be done in terms of standard functions for the cases in which I'm interested.

My question is thus; can this be done in a nice way? And if not generally, are there specific circumstances under which this may be done?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not necessary to solve that equation. If you show that, for some x, f(x)+ g(x,y) is negative, that for another x, f(x)+ g(x, y) is positive, and that f(x)+ g(x, y) is monotone, then there must exist a unique x such that f(x)+ g(x,y)= 0.
(That's true if f(x) is continuous. You don't give that as a hypothesis but it is implied.)

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, f(x) is continuous. And indeed f(x) + g(x,y) is monotone.
What I meant to ask was if there is a way to explicitly find that value for x at which f+g=0 other than the "brute force" way of inverting the expression? Or perhaps, more generally - does an equation of the form "function + tangent line = 0" have a known solution under some assumptions/circumstances?

1. What is the definition of a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve or surface at only one point and has the same slope as the curve or surface at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve or surface at that point.

2. How is the tangent line related to the function?

The tangent line is directly related to the function as it represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. It is also the line that best approximates the behavior of the function at that point.

3. What does it mean when a function and its tangent line have a slope of 0?

When a function and its tangent line have a slope of 0, it means that the function has a horizontal tangent at that point. This can also be interpreted as the function having a constant value at that point.

4. How is the tangent line used in calculus?

In calculus, the tangent line is used to find the derivative of a function at a specific point. It is also used to approximate the behavior of a function at that point, which is useful in optimization and related rates problems.

5. Can the tangent line ever intersect with the function?

Yes, the tangent line can intersect with the function at the point where it touches the function. This point is known as the point of tangency. However, the tangent line and the function can only intersect at one point, as the definition of a tangent line states that it can only touch the function at one point.