Remind me how to do this complex integral

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating e^z/(1-cosz) dz over a circle of radius 2, with a singularity at z=0. The solution is given as 2*pi*i * res (at z=0). There is a discussion about shortcuts to finding the residue and whether there is a theorem for integrating 1/(1-sinz) dz over a circle of radius 2, which has two singularities at equal distance apart. It is mentioned that the residue at one singularity must be the negative of the other for the integral to be 0. The conversation also briefly mentions trying different methods and expanding as a series to find the residue.
catsarebad
integrate e^z/(1-cosz) dz over circle of radius, say 2

i can't seem to recall how it is done.

singularity at z=0

2*pi*i * res (at z=0) would be the solution

any shortcut to find this residue?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
btw, is there any kind of theorem saying integral of 1/(1-sinz) dz over circle of radius 2 would be zero? this one has 2 singularities at equal distance apart. i feel like there's a theorem somewhere. anymore care to refresh my memory?

catsarebad said:
btw, is there any kind of theorem saying integral of 1/(1-sinz) dz over circle of radius 2 would be zero? this one has 2 singularities at equal distance apart. i feel like there's a theorem somewhere. anymore care to refresh my memory?

The only one I know is the one where you use the sum of the residues at each of the singularities, so it would integrate to 0 only if the residue at one singularity is the negative
of the other one.

Likes 1 person
nvm what i said before. the only singularity inside our contour is z = 0. rest are outside and don't even matter.

and yes

integral = 2*pi*i * [sum of residues at each singularities]

i've tried several methods (that i can think of) for this problem and none of them seem to work.

also tried expanding as series and didn't get anywhere.

If you have done the expansion, the residue is the coefficient of 1/z , since all other terms integrate to 0.

why are you integrating?

this is what i was doing

e^z = 1+z+z^2/2 + O(z^3)
1-cosz = z^2/2-z^4/4! + O(z^6)

i couldn't really single out 1/z part

No I'm not integrating, just stating that if you did term-by-term integration of the series, the only term that would be nonzero is the term containing 1/z. Let me think it thru a bit more.

1. How do I approach a complex integral?

There are several methods for approaching a complex integral, such as using substitution, integration by parts, or applying special techniques like contour integration. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and choose the most suitable method for solving it.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a complex integral?

Some common mistakes when solving a complex integral include forgetting to use the chain rule, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not properly accounting for the complex parts of the integral. It is also important to check the answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.

3. How do I handle complex numbers in an integral?

To handle complex numbers in an integral, you can use the properties of complex numbers, such as the fact that the complex conjugate of a number multiplied by its conjugate is equal to its absolute value squared. You can also use Euler's formula to express complex numbers in terms of trigonometric functions.

4. Can I use software to solve a complex integral?

Yes, there are many software programs, such as Mathematica and Wolfram Alpha, that can solve complex integrals. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques in order to use the software effectively and verify the results.

5. Is it possible to solve a complex integral analytically?

In some cases, it is possible to solve a complex integral analytically by using integration techniques or by simplifying the integral through algebraic manipulations. However, there are many complex integrals that cannot be solved analytically and require numerical methods for approximation.