What Speed Does the Railway Carriage Achieve After an Inelastic Collision?

In summary, the railway carriage with a mass of 2.05x10^4 kg initially travels to the left at a speed of 3.24 m/s, but after colliding with two identical railway carriages it moves to the left at a speed of 2.60 m/s.
physicshelpppp

Homework Statement

A railway carriage with a mass m = 2.05×104 kg is initially traveling to the left with a speed Vi = 3.24 m/s. It collides and couples with (get stuck to) two identical railway carriages move to the left with a speed of Ui = 2.36 m/s.

What is the speed of the railway carriage after the collision?

Homework Equations

P = m1v1 + m2v2

KE = 1/2mv2

KE (before collision) = 1/2m1v12 + 1/2m2v22

KE (after collision) = 1/2(m1+ m2)vf2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. P = (2.06×10^4 x 3.24) + 2(2.05×10^4 x 2.36)
= 1.6x10^5

∴ P = 1.6x10^5 = (m1 + 2m2)vf = 6.15x10^4
vf = (1.6x10^5) / (6.15x10^4)
vf = 2.60 m/s

But this answer is not correct... Can someone point out the parts I'm not doing correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
What makes you think the answer is not correct?

1. P = (2.06×10^4 x 3.24) + 2(2.05×10^4 x 2.36)
... what is your reasoning behind this calculation?
Are you calculating the initial momentum of the carriages here?
What are the masses of the carriages?

It is usually best practice to complete the algebra symbolically before plugging numbers in.
A good discipline for these things is to go:
1. before ##p_i=\cdots## some equation
2. after ##p_f=\cdots## some other equation
3. conservation of momentum: ##p_f=p_i \implies\cdots## ... putting the RHSs above equal to each other.
... then some algebra.
Usually the equations simplify so you are less likely to make some arithmetic error.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if it isn't very logical what I'm saying. This is my first time ever learning physics. I'm trying to calculate the speed of the railway carriage after the collision. So I began by calculating the momentum by using P = m1v2 + m2v2 and then I used p = mxv and rearranged it to v = p/m to try and calculate the speed of the carriage after the collision.

The initial velocity of the carriage was 3.24 m/s and then it collides and couples to two identical carriages moves to the left at a speed of 2.36 m/s. And I need to calculate the speed of the carriage after this collision. I know my previous two answers have been incorrect because it says incorrect when I enter my value.

Thank you for your reply and in advance for any further clarification you can offer :)

I began by calculating the momentum by using P = m1v2 + m2v2
OK: so what is m1 and what is m2 ?
There is only one mass given in the problem statement.

I know my previous two answers have been incorrect because it says incorrect when I enter my value.
... from this I'm guessing you mean that a computer is telling you the answers are wrong?
One of the problems with these systems is that they can be very fussy about how the answer is entered ... get a digit out or something and it becomes "wrong".

The two carriages it collides with are identical so for the second mass I multiplied the mass of the singular carriage 2x(2.05x10^4)

yeh the program might be picky, but will let me continue trying until i get the correct answer :)

physicshelpppp said:
The two carriages it collides with are identical so for the second mass I multiplied the mass of the singular carriage 2x(2.05x10^4)
Are all three carriages the same mass?
If so - then why did you write a different mass for the 1st carriage?

oh my apologies, yes they are all identical, the same mass. That was meant to say 2.05x10^4, was a typo when posting on the forum. sorry!

physicshelpppp said:
1. P = (2.06x10^4 x 3.24) + 2(2.05×10^4 x 2.36)
= 1.6x10^5

How many sig fig to retain in intermediate calculations?
= 1.635x10^5

thank you so much it was sig fig :)

Related to What Speed Does the Railway Carriage Achieve After an Inelastic Collision?

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in physics where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

How is the momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved, meaning that the sum of the momentum before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentum after the collision. However, the individual momentum of each object may change due to the transfer of kinetic energy.

What factors affect the degree of inelasticity in a collision?

The degree of inelasticity in a collision is affected by factors such as the elasticity of the objects involved, the angle of collision, and the presence of external forces. Objects with high elasticity will experience a more elastic collision, while objects with low elasticity will experience a more inelastic collision.

How is an inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy of the system are conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved, and some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of inelastic collisions include a car crashing into a wall, a golf ball hitting the ground, and a person catching a ball. In each of these scenarios, some of the kinetic energy of the objects involved is lost due to factors such as friction and deformation.