Maxwell elements in parallel

In summary, the person is seeking help with the derivation of the force elongation relationship for Maxwell elements in parallel in order to derive it for Kelvin Voigt elements in series. They are struggling with understanding the different powers of the differentials in equation 2.93 and are hoping for assistance.
La82

Homework Statement

Not sure this is the right place for this but here it goes...
I am trying to figure out the derivation of the force elongation relationship of the maxwell elements in parallel in order to derive it for the Kelvin Voigt elements in series.
I have attached the material that I am using, the derivation is on page 47 and I can't seem to figure out how they get the different powers of the Differentials in 2.93. The lefthand side I can easily derive, but as far as I can tell the right hand side should just be = D Delta.

It is probably really simple, but my mind is going blank at the moment.

Hope someone can help me

Attachments

• Viscoelasticity- Wineman.pdf
    713.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
out here.Homework Equations 2.93F = D * Delta^nThe Attempt at a SolutionI have been trying to solve this for some time now, but I can't seem to figure out how they get the different powers of the Differentials in 2.93. The lefthand side I can easily derive, but as far as I can tell the right hand side should just be = D Delta.

1. What are Maxwell elements in parallel?

Maxwell elements in parallel refer to a type of mechanical system or model that consists of multiple Maxwell elements connected in parallel. Each Maxwell element is made up of a spring and a dashpot, representing the viscoelastic behavior of a material. This parallel arrangement allows for more complex and accurate modeling of viscoelastic behavior.

2. How do Maxwell elements in parallel behave under stress?

Under stress, each Maxwell element in parallel will deform according to its individual spring and dashpot properties. The overall stress-strain behavior of the system will be the sum of the behaviors of each individual Maxwell element. This allows for a more realistic representation of viscoelastic materials, which exhibit both elastic and viscous behavior.

3. What is the significance of using Maxwell elements in parallel instead of a single Maxwell element?

Using multiple Maxwell elements in parallel allows for a more accurate representation of viscoelastic materials, as it takes into account the different behaviors and properties of the material at different time scales. This is particularly important for materials that exhibit a wide range of viscoelastic behavior, such as polymers and biological tissues.

4. How are the parameters of Maxwell elements in parallel determined?

The parameters of each individual Maxwell element in parallel can be determined through experimental testing, where the stress and strain responses of the material are measured and used to calculate the spring and dashpot constants. These parameters can also be estimated using mathematical models and simulations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Maxwell elements in parallel?

Maxwell elements in parallel are commonly used in the fields of material science, biomechanics, and structural engineering. They are particularly useful for modeling and predicting the behavior of viscoelastic materials in applications such as polymer processing, tissue engineering, and designing damping systems for structures.