Conversion between lbf and Newtons

• Thread starter abercrombiems02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newtons
In summary, there is a confusion between the units of pound force and pound mass, as they are both commonly denoted by "lb". However, on Earth's surface, one pound force is equivalent to one pound mass. This can be derived by dividing the acceleration due to gravity, 9.8 m/s^2, by 2.2 lbm/kg, resulting in 4.48 N in 1 lbm. It is valid to say that 1 lbf is equal to 1 lbm*ft/s^2 when the local acceleration due to gravity, a, is 32.2 ft/s^2. Different opinions exist on the use of designating lbm or lbf, but it is important to
abercrombiems02
I know there are 4.48 N in 1 pound force. The only way I can derive this is dividing 9.8 m/s^2 by 2.2 lbm/kg. The result shows that there 4.48 N in 1 lbm, but shouldn't it be that there are 4.48 N in 1 lbf. Can anyone clear this up or show a better derivation? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
On the surface of the earth, which is indicated by your using 9.81, one pound force IS one pound "mass". (I put "mass" in quotes because, strictly speaking, the pound IS a unit of force, not mass. When you talk about "one lbm" you mean the mass that, at the surface of the earth, would weigh one pound.)

so then it would be valid to say that 1 lbf = 1 lbm*ft/s^2 when g has a magnitude of 32.2 ft/s^2?

You are correct. Using Newton's 2nd Law in the fps system, it is expressed as:

[tex]F = m \frac{a}{g_c}[/tex]

In this formulation, [tex]a[/tex] is the local acceleration due to gravity and [tex]g_c[/tex] = 32.17405 lb·ft/(lbf·s²)

You will run into different opinions on the use. I am of the opinion that one should always designate what you are talking about, i.e. [tex]lb_m[/tex] or [tex]lb_f[/tex]

Last edited:
This is why the metric system rocks.

You couldn't possibly be anymore correct about that statement. stupid slugs, lbm, and lbf!

Confession: I admit that sometimes, when I am just not thinking correctly, I'll convert a problem to SI units to do the calculations. Shhhh...don't say that too loudly.

1. How do you convert lbf to Newtons?

One pound-force (lbf) is equal to 4.44822 Newtons (N). To convert from lbf to N, simply multiply the number of lbf by 4.44822.

2. How do you convert Newtons to lbf?

One Newton (N) is equal to 0.224809 lbf. To convert from N to lbf, simply multiply the number of N by 0.224809.

3. What is the difference between lbf and Newtons?

Lbf and Newtons are both units of force, with lbf being the imperial unit and Newtons being the metric unit. However, 1 lbf is slightly different from 1 Newton due to the different definitions of the pound and kilogram.

4. Is it necessary to convert between lbf and Newtons?

It may be necessary to convert between lbf and Newtons when working with different systems of measurement or when communicating with others who use a different unit of force.

5. Can you use an online converter to convert between lbf and Newtons?

Yes, there are many online converters available that can quickly and accurately convert between lbf and Newtons. However, it is always important to double check your conversions and ensure that the correct units are being used.