Finding the Derivative of an Integral: Explanation Needed

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with taking the derivative of an integral and finding the correct answer. They are having trouble understanding where the constants in the solution come from. Another person asks for clarification on whether the integral is being differentiated or if it is the integral of the integral.
juice34
1. Homework Statement
Can someone help me take the derivative of the integral
u(1/r)((d/dr)[(r)(dV/dr)])=P

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
my attempt yields V=(Pr^2)/(2u)+C(1), which is not right. The actual answer is V=(Pr^2)/4u+C(1)ln(r)+C(2). I am having trouble finding out where the 4 and everything else comes from could someone please explain to me what is going on. Thank YOU

Physics news on Phys.org
When you first integrated, did you include your constant? If not, that might explain why you lacked the extra term upon the second integration.

You want to find
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int u(1/r)\frac{d\left(r\frac{dV}{dr}\right)}{dr}dr[/tex]?
That, of course, is equal to
[tex]u(1/r)\frac{d\left(r\frac{dV}{dr}\right)}{dr}[/tex]?

Or do you mean the integral of that integral?

1. What is the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral is the original function from which the integral was derived. It represents the rate of change of the integral function at a specific point.

2. How do you find the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral can be found by using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integrand evaluated at the upper limit of the integral.

3. Why is the derivative of an integral important?

The derivative of an integral is important because it allows us to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a quantity, which is useful in many areas such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. Can the derivative of an integral be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral can be negative. This means that the original function is decreasing at that specific point.

5. What is the relationship between the derivative and integral?

The derivative and integral are inverse operations of each other. The derivative gives the rate of change of a function, while the integral gives the accumulated change over an interval. They are connected by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.