What helped you learn physics?

• Thread starter Damned charming :)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation touches on various things that have helped develop the speaker's rudimentary physics knowledge. These include the concept of conservation of momentum, the relationship between voltages and joules per columb, and the idea of using squash balls to understand objects expanding with heat. The speaker also expresses interest in learning more about Maxwell's equations and Boltzmann's equation to further their understanding of physics.
Damned charming :)
Some things that helped developed my rudimentary physics knowledge

1) If you jump fowards of a skateboard it goes backwards. You can model this with conservation of momentum. Extending this idea if you jump up in the air the Earth must go in the opposite direction only much slower. So the opposite reaction can always be conceived.

2) Voltages can be thought of as joules per columb so the voltage drop will the same across circuits in series.

3) If you consider a shape made out of squash balls stuck together you can make a perfect scale up with larger spheres. So when an object expands with heat and it is unconstrained then it each of its atoms will get bigger and the object will be perfectly scaled up and both the inner and outer diameter of any holes will increase by the same ratio--- Hopefully this is correct.

What are other peoples useful ways of looking at things?

As for the people that are good at physics I want to fully follow how Maxwell showed that electromagnetic waves can go through vacuum at the speed of light. Any ways that will help me do this. I am can solve the pdes but getting them with vector calculus will probably take me a while I have done some basic stokes/green theorem questions so I should be able to handle things, Should I look around for worked examples that check if you understand something like a generator in terms of Maxwells equations and vector calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another thing I should definitely look into is Boltzmann's equation. It seems to be the basis for all thermodynamic calculations and I think it would be useful to gain an understanding of how it works and how to apply it in a physical system.

1. What are some strategies for learning physics effectively?

Some strategies for learning physics effectively include practicing frequently, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, seeking help from a tutor or study group, and connecting the concepts to real-world examples.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles rather than just memorizing formulas. Additionally, practicing with a variety of problems and seeking feedback can help improve problem-solving abilities.

3. What resources are available for learning physics?

There are many resources available for learning physics, including textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and interactive simulations. It is important to find a resource that aligns with your learning style and offers clear explanations and examples.

4. How can I stay motivated while learning physics?

Staying motivated while learning physics can be challenging, but setting specific goals, taking breaks when needed, and seeking support from peers or a mentor can help. It is also important to remember the real-world applications of physics and how it can help us better understand the world around us.

5. What are some common misconceptions about learning physics?

Some common misconceptions about learning physics include the belief that it is all about memorization and that only those who are naturally good at math can excel in it. In reality, understanding the underlying concepts and principles is more important than memorization, and anyone can learn and improve their skills in physics with dedication and practice.