Calculating Heading, Bank & Attitude of Flight from Data

In summary, the heading of an aircraft is calculated using a compass, adjusted for magnetic variation and deviation. Factors such as airspeed, weight, and turn rate can affect the bank angle of an aircraft. Pitch attitude is determined by the attitude indicator, which uses gyroscopes. True heading is the direction the aircraft is pointing, while magnetic heading is the direction of the compass. Altitude does not directly affect attitude, but changes in altitude can indirectly impact airspeed and vertical speed, which can affect the aircraft's attitude.
kupa
So this is a pretty specific question, and one that has been puzzling me for a while. Either I'm missing something very basic...or. Anyway, here goes :

There's a flight, that has a dish on it. The flight's dish has reported to me some data : Latititude, Longitude of the flight, Azimuth angle (of satellite relative to flight body), and Elevation angle (of satellite relative to flight body ). I also have satellite longitude (and I know that the satellite is geosynchronous).

From the above I do two things.

1) Using Lat, Lon, Satellite Longitude, I assume level flight and nose of flight pointed north and calculate (x1,y1,z1) of the satellite. ( A unit vector really, pointing in the satellite's direction )

2) Using the Az El reported by the flight, I calculate with the (x2,y2,z2) really is according to the orientation of the flight (shifted co-ordinate frame).

If I calculate the rotation matrix between these two points, should I be able to solve for heading, bank, and attitude of the flight?

Thanks,
Kupa.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Kupa,

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you have all the necessary data to calculate the flight's heading, bank, and attitude. However, there are a few things to consider before attempting to solve for these parameters.

Firstly, the accuracy of your calculations will depend on the accuracy of the data you have received. Make sure that the latitude, longitude, azimuth angle, and elevation angle are all accurate and precise.

Secondly, your assumption of level flight and a north-facing nose may not always be accurate. Depending on the flight's actual flight path and orientation, these assumptions may introduce errors into your calculations. It would be helpful to have additional data points or measurements to confirm these assumptions.

Assuming your data is accurate and your assumptions are valid, you can use the rotation matrix to calculate the flight's heading, bank, and attitude. However, keep in mind that the rotation matrix will only give you the relative orientation of the flight to the satellite. To determine the absolute heading, bank, and attitude of the flight, you will need additional reference points or measurements.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. How is heading calculated during a flight?

The heading of an aircraft is calculated by using a compass, which measures the Earth's magnetic field. The compass heading is then adjusted for magnetic variation and deviation to determine the true heading.

2. What factors affect the bank angle of an aircraft?

The bank angle of an aircraft is affected by its airspeed, weight, and the desired rate of turn. Higher airspeeds, heavier weight, and faster turn rates will require a steeper bank angle.

3. How is pitch attitude determined during a flight?

Pitch attitude, or the angle of the aircraft's nose in relation to the horizon, is determined by the aircraft's attitude indicator, also known as an artificial horizon. This instrument uses gyroscopes to indicate the aircraft's pitch and roll.

4. What is the difference between true heading and magnetic heading?

True heading is the direction in which the aircraft is actually pointing, while magnetic heading is the direction in which the aircraft's compass is pointing. Magnetic heading must be adjusted for magnetic variation and deviation to determine the true heading.

5. How does altitude affect the attitude of an aircraft?

The altitude of an aircraft does not directly affect its attitude, which is the orientation of the aircraft in relation to the horizon. However, changes in altitude can affect airspeed and vertical speed, which can in turn affect the aircraft's attitude.