Calculating Azimuth from Variables: dX, dY & Angle

• Thread starter StarFire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the student is seeking help with calculating the azimuth of an angle in a survey course. They are struggling with the formula and variables needed to calculate azimuth, but they know the angle and distance between two points. The student also understands rectangular and polar coordinate systems but is unsure how to calculate the variables dX and dY needed for the formula. They provide a link to an image for reference and mention that the angle is known and the azimuth angle to the object is also known. They ask for guidance on how to transform coordinates and provide a link to potential solutions.
StarFire

Homework Statement

Ok, I'm doing a survey course, and I need to calculate the azimuth of an angle. The 'textbook' is a series of not-all-that-well-written notes, so I'm hoping you can help (it tells me that to calculate azimuth I need to reduce to absolute coords, but in order to do so I need the azimuth! ).

I'm not going to post my variables because I don't want you to give me the answer, only to help me figure out the formula I need. I know this is basic trig, but it's been decades since I've studied any trig or physics. I know what an azimuth is, just not how to calculate it from my data.

I know one angle, and the distance between my station point (A) and the point I'm measuring (B). I know the angle is zero because I set the instrument to zero along it.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/members/starfire_mk2-42816-albums-misc-retribution-files-picture1583-01.jpg

I know point B is in the 4th quadrant, with -dX and +dY values. Intuitively, this means my AZ will be ~ the 300* range. Problem is, while I understand both the rectangular and polar coord systems (I suspect this is a polar coord system I'm working in, since I have a -dX angle), I don't know how to calculate dX and dY.

Homework Equations

Polar angle theta =tan minus 1 (dX/dY) +addition constant

If this is the right formula, how do I calculate dX and dY??

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

To calculate the azimuth of an angle, you will need to use the trigonometric functions of tangent and inverse tangent. The formula you provided is correct, however, dX and dY are not calculated separately but are used together in the formula.

To calculate dX and dY, you will need to use the distance between your station point (A) and the point you are measuring (B). This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem: d = √(dX^2 + dY^2), where d is the distance between A and B.

Once you have calculated the distance, you can then use the tangent function to find the angle theta, which is the azimuth. The formula for tangent is: tanθ = dY/dX. This will give you the value of theta in radians.

If you need the angle in degrees, you can convert it by multiplying the value in radians by 180/π (pi).

I hope this helps you in calculating the azimuth from your variables. Remember to double check your calculations and make sure your units are consistent. Good luck with your survey course!

Related to Calculating Azimuth from Variables: dX, dY & Angle

1. How do you calculate azimuth from dX, dY, and angle variables?

To calculate azimuth from dX, dY, and angle variables, you will first need to determine the direction of the angle. This can be done by measuring the angle clockwise or counterclockwise from a reference direction, such as North. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance (d) from the origin to the point using the dX and dY variables. Finally, use the inverse tangent function to calculate the azimuth (θ) using the formula θ = tan-1(dY/dX).

2. What is the purpose of using dX, dY, and angle variables in calculating azimuth?

These variables represent the change in the horizontal and vertical direction, as well as the angle of rotation. By using these variables, you can accurately determine the direction and distance from a reference point to a specific location or object on a map or in a geographic coordinate system.

3. Can you use any units for dX, dY, and angle in calculating azimuth?

Yes, as long as the units for each variable are consistent, you can use any unit of measurement for dX, dY, and angle. This includes degrees, radians, meters, feet, etc. However, it is important to keep track of the unit of measurement used for each variable to ensure accurate calculations.

4. How do you convert azimuth from radians to degrees?

To convert azimuth from radians to degrees, you can use the formula θ° = (θ * 180)/π, where θ is the azimuth in radians and θ° is the converted azimuth in degrees.

5. How is azimuth different from bearing?

While azimuth and bearing are often used interchangeably, they are technically different measurements. Azimuth is the direction of an object or location relative to a reference direction, while bearing is the direction from one location to another. Azimuth is typically measured in degrees or radians, while bearing is measured in degrees, minutes, and seconds.