Slowing Down a 1/2hp Electric Motor for Hogs for the Cause

In summary, the conversation discussed the plan to roast a pig on a spit for a charity event, using an electric motor found on Craigslist. However, the motor's speed of 1750rpm was too fast, and various solutions were suggested including using gears or a light dimmer. The conversation also included humorous references to perfectly balanced pigs and spherical cows, as well as practical suggestions such as using a worm gear or repurposing old washing machine parts. Ultimately, it was determined that a manual turning method or finding a surplus gear motor may be the most cost-effective options.
Subaruzi
I am in business school and every year we do a charity event called hogs for the cause (http://www.hogsforthecause.org/ ). This year we are planning on putting a pig on a spit and have designed the cooking apparatus. I have combed craigslist and found an electric motor that should be able to power the spit to turn. The problem is the $22 motor is a 1/2hp with a steady 1750rpm rate. Is there a way that I can slow that down to 6-10rpm? I was planning on using some gears but could I just throw a light dimmer on the cord and slow it down like that?

Any non-complicated, not very technical solutions are appreciated. I have a couple of engineers in my program so they could help out if you need to go super tech on me. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No, you need to gear it down or be ready for a really fast pig.

Roast the pig at 1750 rpm.

gnurf said:
Roast the pig at 1750 rpm.

Don't try this at home, unless you have a perfectly balanced cylindrical pig. Otherwise your roasting pig may suddenly become a flying pig.

IIRC you can get cylindrical pigs from the same place as spherical cows...

Seriously though, the simplest gearing solution would be a worm gear which could easily reduce the speed by 100 or 200 times.

Using a light dimmer won't work, because you will need the full power of the motor to rotate a real, not-perfectly-balanced pig. In any case, 1/2 hp is about 400 watts of electrical power (including a bit of safety margin), and most devices sold as "light dimmers" won't handle that much power.

Thank you for the quick (and humorous) replies.
You guys have a worm gear supplier you could recommend?
I think that is the option to go with.

A, new, half-horse worm gear setup might cost more than a big surplus gear motor. Peruse this site for some painful realities: http://sdp-si.com/ or try searching for "surplus gear motor"...

Maybe you can find some automotive scrap -- transmission, differential -- parts that could be cobbled together? Or, given your big gear-down, a fairly small motor and a few step pulleys might be more economical.

ps...Aleph: nice reference to spherical cows

For just one pig, I think it could be cheaper to find a school boy who would do the turning manually for some pocket money.
If you really want to do it electrically, I suggest an old washing machine motor and drum could provide an appropriate drive, followed by a further (reducing) belt drive to the spit.

FAQ: Slowing Down a 1/2hp Electric Motor for Hogs for the Cause

What is the purpose of slowing down a 1/2hp electric motor for Hogs for the Cause?

The purpose of slowing down a 1/2hp electric motor for Hogs for the Cause is to regulate the speed of the motor in order to control the cooking temperature of the hog. This is important in order to ensure that the hog is cooked evenly and thoroughly.

How does the speed of the motor affect the cooking temperature of the hog?

The speed of the motor directly affects the cooking temperature of the hog. Slowing down the motor will decrease the temperature, while increasing the speed will raise the temperature. This is because the motor is responsible for powering the rotisserie which rotates the hog, and the rotation helps to evenly distribute heat throughout the hog.

What factors should be considered when determining the appropriate speed for the motor?

There are several factors that should be considered when determining the appropriate speed for the motor. These include the size and weight of the hog, the outside temperature, and the desired cooking time. It is important to monitor the temperature of the hog regularly to ensure it is cooking at a safe and consistent temperature.

Can the speed of the motor be adjusted during the cooking process?

Yes, the speed of the motor can be adjusted during the cooking process if necessary. If the temperature of the hog is too high, the speed can be decreased to lower the temperature. Similarly, if the temperature is too low, the speed can be increased to raise the temperature. However, it is important to make adjustments gradually to avoid drastic changes in temperature.

Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when slowing down the motor?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be taken when slowing down the motor. It is important to make sure that the motor is turned off and unplugged before making any adjustments. Additionally, make sure to use caution when handling the motor and any other equipment to avoid injury. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for operating the motor.