Ideas for a thesis on dynamical systems?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation suggests brainstorming ideas for a physics master thesis related to parallel computing and dynamical systems. Some potential topics include investigating the efficiency of parallel computing in chaotic systems, using parallel computing in studying chaotic fluids, and exploring the role of chaos in climate change and financial market behavior. Other suggestions include applying catastrophe theory to chaotic systems, studying complex networks using parallel computing, and analyzing epidemics and pandemics with chaos. The conversation also mentions the potential of modeling chaos in the finance sector and predicting crises.
trolle3000
Hi there,

I'm looking for a topic for my physics master thesis. The topic is free, and I'm really interested in (parallel) computing, as well as dynamical systems and "chaos". However, I'm kinda short on specific ideas, so this is where I'm looking for help. Current ideas for the project:

1) it involves a lot of computer modelling,
2) it's about dynamical systems,
3) it should or could relate to some contemporary hot topic (;-),
4) it could involve system dynamics,
5) it could involve catastrophe theory,
6) it could involve ideas from fluid dynamics applied to above fields,
7) it could be heavy on the math.

Ideas on topics not necessarily considered "physics" are very welcome. How about modelling chaos in the finance sector and predicting the next crisis? What if we could predict the amount of chili in a dish that would make more than half of the guests go 'Yak' and take the others down with them?

The above is very vague, I know. But please, people, consider this a crowdsourced brainstorm. Good ideas will be appreciated!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your master thesis topic. I understand your interest in parallel computing and dynamical systems, and I can definitely suggest some ideas that incorporate those topics.

1) Investigating the efficiency of parallel computing in simulating and analyzing chaotic systems. This could involve comparing different parallel computing methods and their impact on the accuracy and speed of simulations.

2) Exploring the use of parallel computing in studying chaotic systems in fluid dynamics. This could involve simulating and analyzing the behavior of chaotic fluids, such as turbulent flow, using parallel computing techniques.

3) Investigating the role of chaos in climate change and the potential impact of parallel computing in predicting and mitigating the effects of climate change.

4) Examining the use of parallel computing in predicting and analyzing financial market behavior, especially in the context of chaotic and unpredictable events.

5) Applying catastrophe theory to study the behavior of chaotic systems and the potential of parallel computing in improving our understanding and prediction of these systems.

6) Investigating the use of parallel computing in modeling and analyzing complex networks, such as social networks, transportation networks, and biological networks, and how chaos and dynamical systems play a role in their behavior.

7) Exploring the potential of using parallel computing in studying and analyzing the dynamics of epidemics and pandemics, including the role of chaos in their spread and control.

As for your idea on modeling chaos in the finance sector and predicting crises, I think it could be a very interesting topic to explore. It could also be relevant to incorporate parallel computing in this study to improve the accuracy and speed of predictions.

I hope these ideas help in your brainstorming process. I wish you all the best with your master thesis.

1. What is a dynamical system?

A dynamical system is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system over time. It is made up of a set of variables and equations that determine how the system changes or evolves over time.

2. What are some potential ideas for a thesis on dynamical systems?

Some potential ideas for a thesis on dynamical systems could include studying the chaotic behavior of a particular system, analyzing the stability of a system under different conditions, or developing new numerical methods for solving dynamical systems.

3. How can dynamical systems be applied in real-world situations?

Dynamical systems have many applications in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model complex systems and predict their behavior, making them useful in problem-solving and decision-making.

4. What are some challenges in studying dynamical systems?

One challenge in studying dynamical systems is the high level of complexity and nonlinearity that can make it difficult to find analytical solutions. Another challenge is the sensitivity to initial conditions, which can lead to unpredictable behavior and make accurate predictions challenging.

5. What are some useful tools for analyzing dynamical systems?

Some useful tools for analyzing dynamical systems include phase space diagrams, bifurcation diagrams, and Lyapunov exponents. Numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods can also be used for solving and simulating dynamical systems.