Equal and Opposite Velocities: Exploring Rindler's Lemma

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an inertial frame in relation to velocity. The participants consider the assertion that between any two inertial frames, there exists a third frame in which the first two have equal and opposite velocities. They discuss the implications of this concept in non-relativistic and Euclidean terms, and also how it can be proven in the context of special relativity. One participant provides a simple two-line proof from the textbook, which involves considering a one-parameter family of frames with varying velocities. The conversation concludes with a clarification of the proof and a better understanding of the concept.
neutrino
I came across this term for the first time less than a day ago in Rindler's book Relativity (2 Ed. paperback p40). It's the assertion "that 'between' any two inertial frames S and S' there exists an inertial frame S'' relative to which S and S' have equal and opposite velocities." I am not able to understand his two-line "proof." I tried searching Google and Wikipedia for more on this but nothing turned up ( ). I was wondering if someone here knows about this lemma and could explain it to me, or provide a link to some site that explains it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might first help think about things from a non-relativistic, Galilean point of view.

One can also consider a Euclidean analogue.

So, basically, S moves with [itex]\vec{v_1}[/itex], S' moves with [itex]\vec{v_2}[/itex] and S'' moves with [itex]\frac{\vec{v_1} + \vec{v_2}}{2}[/itex]? (All of that with respect to me, of course.) I was never thinking "'SR'ically" or in terms of Minkowskian geometry, though.

neutrino said:
So, basically, S moves with [itex]\vec{v_1}[/itex], S' moves with [itex]\vec{v_2}[/itex] and S'' moves with [itex]\frac{\vec{v_1} + \vec{v_2}}{2}[/itex]? (All of that with respect to me, of course.)
No, because of relativity's velocity addition formula it wouldn't work so simply. For example, if in the S'' frame S is moving at 0.6c to the left and S' is moving at 0.6c to the right, then if in your frame S'' is moving at 0.8c to the right, in your frame S' is moving at speed (0.8c + 0.6c)/(1 + 0.8*0.6) = 0.9459c, while in your frame S is moving at speed (0.8c - 0.6c)/(1 - 0.8*0.6) = 0.3846c. So you can see that the velocity of S'' in your frame, 0.8c, is not equal to [itex]\frac{\vec{v_1} + \vec{v_2}}{2}[/itex] which would work out to (0.3846c + 0.9459c)/2 = 0.6653c.

JesseM said:
No, because of relativity's velocity addition formula it wouldn't work so simply. For example, if in the S'' frame S is moving at 0.6c to the left and S' is moving at 0.6c to the right, then if in your frame S'' is moving at 0.8c to the right, in your frame S' is moving at speed (0.8c + 0.6c)/(1 + 0.8*0.6) = 0.9459c, while in your frame S is moving at speed (0.8c - 0.6c)/(1 - 0.8*0.6) = 0.3846c. So you can see that the velocity of S'' in your frame, 0.8c, is not equal to [itex]\frac{\vec{v_1} + \vec{v_2}}{2}[/itex] which would work out to (0.3846c + 0.9459c)/2 = 0.6653c.
That might be true, but I was thinking along the lines of GeorgeJones' advice, i.e. Galilean relativity.

So, now how can I prove this lemma in terms of SR? Any pointers? (In the book it is mentioned, long before the velocity-composition formulae, in a discussion of the homogeneity (in space and time) and isotropy of inertial frames, and how one can arrive at Einstein's principle of relativity from this assumption/axiom.)

neutrino said:
So, now how can I prove this lemma in terms of SR? Any pointers? (In the book it is mentioned, long before the velocity-composition formulae, in a discussion of the homogeneity (in space and time) and isotropy of inertial frames, and how one can arrive at Einstein's principle of relativity from this assumption/axiom.)
A straightforward way to prove it would be to use the velocity addition formula to find a general formula for the velocity v an object should have in your frame such that if two other objects have velocities v1 and v2 in your frame, their speeds will be equal in v's own frame. But this probably isn't the simplest approach. You said the textbook had a simple two-line proof, can you post it and then people here could explain whatever it is you don't understand?

JesseM said:
You said the textbook had a simple two-line proof, can you post it and then people here could explain whatever it is you don't understand?

For proof, consider a one-parameter family of inertial frames moving collinearly with S and S', the parameter being the velocity with respect to S. It is then obvious from continuity that there must be one member of this family with the required property (see Fig 2.4).

Figure 2.4 shows three frames - S, S'' and S', in that order. (Three big L's). S" prime has a relatively long arrow pointing to the right. S' has one even longer pointing in the same direction. They also have some "experiments" drawn inside, but that has to do with the next paragraph.

neutrino said:
Figure 2.4 shows three frames - S, S'' and S', in that order. (Three big L's). S" prime has a relatively long arrow pointing to the right. S' has one even longer pointing in the same direction. They also have some "experiments" drawn inside, but that has to do with the next paragraph.

Let: V be the velocity of S' with respect to S; u be the velocity of S with respect to S''; v be the velocity of S' with respect to S''.

Consider a sequence of frames S'' that start at S'' = S, and that vary continuously to S'' = S'.

If S'' = S, then u = 0 and v = V.

If S'' = S', then u = -V and v = 0.

So, the *magnitude* of u varies continuously from 0 to V at the same that the magnitude of v varies continously from V to 0. Somewhere, they have to cross.

Ah...now I can at least start to wrap my head around it. :) Thanks.

What is Rindler's Lemma?

Rindler's Lemma is a principle in physics that states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, also known as Newton's third law of motion. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

What is the significance of equal and opposite velocities?

Equal and opposite velocities play a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects in the universe. This principle helps us explain why objects move in certain ways and how forces act upon them. It is also an important concept in the study of momentum and collisions.

Can you give an example of equal and opposite velocities in action?

One example of equal and opposite velocities can be seen in a rocket launch. As the rocket propels itself upwards, it exerts a force downwards, pushing gases out of its engines. This results in an equal and opposite force pushing the rocket upwards, causing it to accelerate.

How does Rindler's Lemma relate to other laws of physics?

Rindler's Lemma is directly related to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. It is also closely connected to the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, as these principles rely on the concept of equal and opposite forces.

Why is it important to explore Rindler's Lemma?

Understanding Rindler's Lemma is crucial for accurately modeling and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It is a fundamental principle in physics and helps to explain many natural phenomena. Additionally, Rindler's Lemma has practical applications in fields such as engineering and astrophysics.