What is the underlying principle behind buoyancy?

• Thread starter jasc15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the buoyant force of an object is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid, regardless of the shape of the object. The pressure on the lower part of a submerged object is greater than the pressure on the higher part, resulting in a net upward force. This phenomenon is not affected by the geometry of the object and can be explained through the concept of hydrostatic pressure. Calculus can be used to prove this, but a simpler explanation can be found in the derivation of the buoyant force formula.
jasc15
I guess it makes sense that the buoyant force of an object is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid, but why should this be the case? Why should that displaced liquid provide an upward force on the object?

It seems apparent that as long as there is some part of the object above the surface, the result of the pressure on the submerged portion would net an upward force. But what about a completely submerged body? The pressure is now applied to every surface of the body (including the previously un-submerged surfaces), so why the net upward force? Is there some application of a conservation law that I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
jasc15 said:
But what about a completely submerged body? The pressure is now applied to every surface of the body (including the previously un-submerged surfaces), so why the net upward force?
The pressure is not the same everywhere. The pressure is greater on the lower part of the body--since fluid pressure increases with depth--leading to a net upward force

OK, i thought that may be the case, but then geometry of the body would affect its buoyancy, not just its weight.

jasc15 said:
But what about a completely submerged body? The pressure is now applied to every surface of the body (including the previously un-submerged surfaces), so why the net upward force?

The pressure applied to the low side is larger than the high side pressure. Remember the hydrostatic pressure, for the case of fluids exposed to a gravitational force:

70d6a72229f1c9e7b9be66465519621c.png

On the low side, the value of h is larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
jasc15 said:
OK, i thought that may be the case, but then geometry of the body would affect its buoyancy, not just its weight.
No. It turns out that the shape is irrelevant. Any object totally submerged will have a buoyant force equal to the weight of the displaced fluid, regardless of shape.

Suppose i reconstruct the object so that it protrudes deeper than before, therefore having a larger pressure at the bottom. Now to keep the same density, those lower regions would have less surface area, so the increase in pressure would result in a lower force. How can i show that this trade off is exactly 1-to-1?

Basically, how can i show that all these factors disappear, and leave me with only volume?

Doc Al said:
No. It turns out that the shape is irrelevant. Any object totally submerged will have a buoyant force equal to the weight of the displaced fluid, regardless of shape.
I know it doesnt, and shouldn't matter what the shape of the object is, but i am really digging deep for a rigorous explanation.

jasc15 said:
I know it doesnt, and shouldn't matter what the shape of the object is, but i am really digging deep for a rigorous explanation.
Read this explanation: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/pbuoy.html" . Note that the argument does not depend on the shape of the object.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know multivariable calculus? If you do it is a piece of cake, if you don't you will need a heuristic explanation which might not be satisfying.

Klockan3 said:
Do you know multivariable calculus? If you do it is a piece of cake, if you don't you will need a heuristic explanation which might not be satisfying.

I did a bit of thinking about 2 cylinders. Each the same volume and weight, but one twice as long as the other. The long one would have a pressure on its lower surface twice that of the shorter one, but half the surface area, therefore the same upward force. I suppose i would need some multivariable calculus to show that this applies to any general shape. I'd have to brush up on it. It's been a while, and I am not sure if i know it well enough to solve this problem.

jasc15 said:
Basically, how can i show that all these factors disappear, and leave me with only volume?

If you mean the fact that the buoyant force is the weight of the displaced fluid, you're looking for the derivation of an (mg) term, not a volume. There is an article at this site that shows the derivation, on the following page:

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=123

The derivation on that page makes the volume a cube, which isn't necessary. To be more general I would prefer to select a cylinder whose base has any shape, base area A, height h.

Pressure difference between top base and bottom base is rho gh.

Buoyant force is = (pressure difference between the two bases)(base area) = rho ghA

volume of displaced fluid = hA
mass of displaced fluid = (density) (volume) = rho hA
weight of displaced fluid = (mass)(g) = rho gha

Therefore the buoyant force equals the weight of the displaced fluid.

Last edited:
jasc15 said:
I did a bit of thinking about 2 cylinders. Each the same volume and weight, but one twice as long as the other. The long one would have a pressure on its lower surface twice that of the shorter one, but half the surface area, therefore the same upward force. I suppose i would need some multivariable calculus to show that this applies to any general shape. I'd have to brush up on it. It's been a while, and I am not sure if i know it well enough to solve this problem.
While you could use calculus to show that Archimedes' Principle holds for any shape, that's definitely the hard way to go. The argument given in the link I provided (and which is given in most textbooks) should convince you with no calculation--or calculus--whatsoever.

1. Why do objects float in water?

Buoyancy occurs because the weight of the water displaced by an object is equal to the weight of the object itself. This creates an upward force on the object, causing it to float.

2. What causes buoyancy to occur?

Buoyancy is caused by the difference in density between an object and the fluid it is immersed in. If the object is less dense than the fluid, it will float. If it is more dense, it will sink.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy in two ways. First, the volume of the object will determine the amount of water it displaces, and therefore the amount of upward force. Second, the shape can also affect the distribution of weight, which can impact the object's stability in the water.

4. Can buoyancy occur in other fluids besides water?

Yes, buoyancy can occur in any fluid, as long as there is a difference in density between the object and the fluid. For example, objects can float in air if they are less dense than the surrounding air.

5. How is buoyancy important in everyday life?

Buoyancy plays a crucial role in many aspects of everyday life, such as swimming, boating, and even in the design of ships and submarines. It is also important in understanding weather patterns and ocean currents. Additionally, buoyancy is used in industries such as oil and gas extraction and in the production of various materials.