M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research After Electronics Engg in India - Pros & Cons

• Thread starter RoughRoad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary: That will give you a good idea of what people are looking for in a graduate student, and you can tailor your application towards that.
RoughRoad
I will be doing Electronics engineering, and in the next 4 years, will be an engineer. But actually, I want to get into research field. Astronomy fascinates me. Can I pursue a Mtech in Astronomy after my engineering? Or in something else related to research in space? Also, I am from India.

And how is Electronics Engineering btw? It's pros and cons?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea--I suppose I am an electronics engineer (albeit only as a contractor, and at a place where I've been told I'm the one-eyed in the land of the blind) but your question is extremely broad, and will greatly vary with where you work, what company you work at, and whom you work with. All that said, I've noticed a lot of people from India who want to go into a physics field (and often, a theoretical one) in graduate school, but want to--or are coming from--an engineering education.

Could you weigh in on the thread below? I'd love for more perspective and feedback on the topic (especially since it comes up so often):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511511

I've known a few engineers that went into astronomy. You will have to go through graduate school though. It depends a lot on the school, your courses, and a few other factors, but many grad programs would probably take you. Keep in mind though that you're going to have to go out of your way to contact the departments personally. You're going to have to explain your situation. Many times departments are making decisions based on who's going to do well, and if you've not had the high level physics classes that the rest of the applicants have, you're going to at least have to show some willingness to take the extra year to do that work.

What would *really* help you above all else is what kind of work you do as an undergraduate, particularly what papers you're on.

1. What is M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research after Electronics Engg?

M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research after Electronics Engg is a postgraduate program that focuses on the application of electronics engineering principles and techniques in the field of astronomy and space research. It equips students with the necessary knowledge and skills to design and develop electronic systems and instruments used in space exploration and research.

2. What are the job prospects after completing M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research?

Graduates with an M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research can find employment opportunities in various fields such as space research organizations, national and international space agencies, aerospace companies, and satellite manufacturing companies. They can also work as scientists, researchers, engineers, or technical consultants in these organizations.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research after Electronics Engg?

Some of the benefits of pursuing M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research after Electronics Engg include gaining specialized knowledge and skills in the field of space technology, expanding career opportunities in the growing space industry, and contributing to cutting-edge research and advancements in space exploration.

4. What are the challenges of pursuing M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research?

Some of the challenges of pursuing M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research include the rigorous curriculum that involves advanced concepts and theories, the high level of competition in the field, and the need for continuous learning and staying updated with the latest advancements in the space industry.

5. What are the future prospects for M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research graduates?

The future prospects for M.Tech in Astronomy/Space Research graduates are quite promising as the demand for skilled professionals in the space industry is expected to increase in the coming years. With the growing investments in space research and exploration, there will be a wide range of opportunities for these graduates in both public and private sectors.