Convert Divergence equation into matrix form

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of finite difference and finite element methods to solve equation (5), which involves current density, electrical field, current source, and a non-linear equation. The question posed is how to solve it using these methods, and the solution involves discretizing and approximating the derivatives of the function v(x,y,z) to obtain a numerical solution.
AGerami
Dear All,
I am working on electrical modeling which I cannot change divergence to matrix form to solve it with finite difference or finite element, anybody can help me?

J Current density
E Electrical fi eld
I Current source

J = σE (1)
J = ρ^(-1)1 E (2)
E = −∇v(x,y,z) (3)
∇ · J = I δ(x − xp) δ(y − yp) δ(z − zp) (4)
∇ · (ρ^(-1) ∇v(x,y,z)) = −I δ(x − xp) δ(y − yp) δ(z − zp) (5)

question is how to solve equation (5) with FD and / or FE methods?
Appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to equation (5) can be solved using the finite difference (FD) or finite element (FE) methods. The FD method involves discretizing the derivatives of the function v(x,y,z) and approximating them with a central difference formula. The FE method involves dividing the domain into small elements and approximating the derivatives of the function v(x,y,z) using a weighted average of the values at the nodes of the element. Both methods can then be used to solve the equation numerically.

1. What is a divergence equation?

A divergence equation is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a vector field. It represents the rate at which a vector field is expanding or contracting at a given point in space.

2. Why is it important to convert a divergence equation into matrix form?

Converting a divergence equation into matrix form allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the equation. It also enables the use of matrix operations and techniques, which can simplify calculations and provide more insight into the behavior of the vector field.

3. How do you convert a divergence equation into matrix form?

To convert a divergence equation into matrix form, you need to identify the vector field and its corresponding components. Then, you can use the appropriate matrix notation to represent the components and their derivatives. Finally, you can combine these matrices using matrix multiplication to obtain the matrix form of the divergence equation.

4. What are the advantages of using matrix form for divergence equations?

Using matrix form for divergence equations can make it easier to solve and analyze complex systems. It also allows for the use of linear algebra techniques, which can provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of the vector field. Additionally, matrix form can lead to more efficient computations and can make it easier to generalize the equation to higher dimensions.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a divergence equation into matrix form?

While matrix form can simplify the analysis of divergence equations, it may not always be feasible to convert them into this form. Some equations may be too complex to represent in matrix form or may lead to large and unwieldy matrices. In these cases, it may be more practical to work with the original equation or to use other mathematical techniques.