Boundary integral method to solve poisson equation

In summary, to solve the Poisson equation $σ∇^2V=-Iδ(x-x_s)δ(y-y_s)δ(z-z_s)$, it is suggested to use the boundary integration method and convert the equation into cylindrical polar coordinates. The potential V(r,z) can be calculated using the method by integrating over the boundary and using the Green's function in 3D or the Neumann boundary condition. Finally, numerical methods such as finite element or finite difference methods can be used to approximate the solution.
ra_forever8
Suggest how to solve Poisson equation
\begin{equation}
σ ∇^2 V = - I δ(x-x_s) δ(y-y_s) δ(z-z_s) \nonumber
\end{equation}
by using the boundary integration method to calculate the potential $V(r,z)$ with the help of changing the Poisson equation into cylindrical polar co ordinates?
Where V is electric Potential (scalar)[volts]. Solution depends only on $r$ and $σ$ is constant. $r$ is horizontal coordinate(direction) $0\leq r \leq \infty $ and $z$ is vertical co ordinate(direction) $-\infty\leq r \leq \infty $. What boundary conditions are appropriate?=>Firstly, is boundary integration method same as boundary element method?if not what do you mean by boundary integration method?To change the Poisson equation into cylindrical polar co ordinates: $σ =(r,θ,z)$ where, $θ$ is not relevant
so, $σ=(r,z)$ cylindrical polar co ordinates is
\begin{equation}
σ ∇^2 V= \int ^{r= ∞}_ {r=0} \int^ {z=∞} _{ z= - ∞} {δ(r) δ(z-z_s)} dz dr.
\end{equation}
where $r_s$=0 at the top layer r=0.Now, it suggest how to calculate the potential V(r,z) by using boundary integral method.for the boundary conditions i thought to use green function in 3-d dimensional but pretending 2-d in our case.
\begin{equation}
( green function) G_{3D}= \frac{- 1}{4πσ r} = \frac{∂G}{∂r} + \frac{1}{r} ≈ 0
\end{equation}

my second question is can i use Neumann condition as a boundary condition under boundary integration method?No current flux on a surface with normal n: $ σ \frac{∂V}{∂n} =0$ [ Neumann ]my third question is how to solve the problem now?can anyone please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend the following steps to solve the Poisson equation using the boundary integration method:

1. First, convert the Poisson equation into cylindrical polar coordinates as you have suggested. This will simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

2. Next, use the boundary integration method to calculate the potential V(r,z). This method involves integrating the equation over the boundary of the region of interest. In this case, the boundary would be the surface defined by r=0 and z=±∞.

3. To calculate the potential, you can use the Green's function in 3D. In 2D, this would simplify to a logarithmic function. You can also use the Neumann boundary condition, which states that there is no current flux on a surface with normal n. This would be appropriate for this problem.

4. Finally, to solve the problem, you can use numerical methods such as finite element or finite difference methods. These methods can help you approximate the solution to the Poisson equation and find the potential V(r,z).

I hope this helps you in solving the Poisson equation using the boundary integration method. Good luck!

1. What is the Boundary Integral Method (BIM)?

The Boundary Integral Method (BIM) is a numerical technique used in mathematical physics and engineering to solve partial differential equations, specifically the Poisson equation. It involves transforming the problem from a domain integral to a boundary integral, which reduces the dimensionality of the problem and simplifies the solution process.

2. What is the Poisson equation?

The Poisson equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a scalar field in a given domain, given the boundary conditions and a source term. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model a wide range of phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrostatics.

3. How does the Boundary Integral Method solve the Poisson equation?

The BIM solves the Poisson equation by converting it into a boundary integral equation, which involves evaluating the integral of the solution over the boundary of the domain. This approach is more efficient than traditional finite difference or finite element methods, as it reduces the dimensionality of the problem and allows for a more accurate and faster solution.

4. What are the advantages of using the Boundary Integral Method?

The Boundary Integral Method has several advantages, including its ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions, its efficiency in reducing the dimensionality of the problem, and its accuracy in solving the Poisson equation. It also allows for the incorporation of physical properties into the solution, making it a powerful tool for modeling real-world problems.

5. What are the limitations of the Boundary Integral Method?

While the Boundary Integral Method has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is most suitable for linear problems and may not be as accurate for highly nonlinear problems. It also requires a thorough understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and can be computationally expensive for large domains. Additionally, it may not be as well-known or widely used as other numerical methods, which can make finding resources and support more challenging.