Derivative of cosh x: Clarifying Confusion

• Thread starter Michael_Light
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the power series for the derivative of a function. It is mentioned that the k=0 term can be ignored since it is equal to 0. The conversation then goes on to explain the change of index and how this leads to a more simplified form of the derivative. Finally, there is a discussion about the definition of cosh(x) and how different approaches can lead to different results.
Michael_Light
maths.png

Hi... I read this from my lecture note, but i couldn't understand:

i) the red part, shouldn't it be k =0 instead of k=1?

ii) the third line to the fourth line... i.e.

maths 2.png

I have no idea how to change from the third line to the fourth line..

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks a lot.. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter. Since the terms being summed have a factor of "k", the k= 0 term has value 0.

In general, for power series, [itex]f(x)= \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_kx^k[/itex], the derivative can be written as either [itex]f'(x)= \sum_{k=0}^\infty ka_kx^{k- 1}[/itex] or as [itex]f'(x)= \sum_{k=1}^\infty ka_kx^{k- 1}[/itex] because the k= 0 term is 0.

By making the change of index, n= k- 1, so that k= n+1, the second can be written [itex]f'(x)= \sum_{n=0} (n+1)a_{n+1}x^n[/itex].

The first sum can be rewritten as
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^\infty (2k)\frac{x^{2k-1}}{(2k)!}=\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{x^{2k-1}}{(2k-1)!}[/itex]​
since [itex](2k)!=(2k)(2k-1)![/itex]. To change the base index, replace [itex]k[/itex] by [itex]k+1[/itex]. You then get the sum
[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}.[/itex]​

Michael_Light said:
View attachment 54593

Hi... I read this from my lecture note, but i couldn't understand:

i) the red part, shouldn't it be k =0 instead of k=1?

ii) the third line to the fourth line... i.e.

View attachment 54595

I have no idea how to change from the third line to the fourth line..

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks a lot.. :smile:

This seems to be a very roundabout way of getting this result.

cosh(x) = (ex + e-x)/2
The derivative = (ex - e-x)/2 =sinh(x).

IF cosh(x) has been defined as [itex](e^x+ e^{-x})/2[/itex], yes, that is more direct. However, if cosh(x) has been defined as [itex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty x^{2i}/(2i)![/itex], as is quite possible and apparently as done in the first post, the argument given is more direct.

Related to Derivative of cosh x: Clarifying Confusion

What is the definition of the derivative of cosh x?

The derivative of cosh x is the rate of change of the hyperbolic cosine function with respect to its input variable x. It is denoted as d/dx cosh x or cosh'(x) and is equal to sinh x.

How is the derivative of cosh x calculated?

The derivative of cosh x can be calculated using the formula cosh'(x) = sinh x. This means taking the derivative of cosh x is equivalent to taking the derivative of sinh x with respect to x.

What is the relationship between the derivative of cosh x and the derivative of sinh x?

The derivative of cosh x and the derivative of sinh x are closely related. In fact, the derivative of cosh x is equal to the derivative of sinh x. This means that the two functions have the same rate of change at any given point.

Why is there often confusion surrounding the derivative of cosh x?

There is often confusion surrounding the derivative of cosh x because it is a hyperbolic function, which is not as commonly used as trigonometric functions. Additionally, the derivative of cosh x is equal to sinh x, which can be counterintuitive for some students.

What are some real-world applications of the derivative of cosh x?

The derivative of cosh x has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, as well as to model the growth of populations and markets.