Should I be getting paid for this?

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
In summary: Personally, I think the conversation was quite productive and informative, with discussions about work, free time, and productivity. In summary, the conversation touched on the topic of whether or not one should be getting paid for posting on an online forum while at work, and the various tasks and activities individuals engage in during work hours. Some shared their experiences of having free time at work while others discussed their busy schedules. Overall, the conversation highlighted the balance between work and leisure and the different ways people utilize their time at work.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Should I be getting paid for this??

So, I had to glue some wires to a device with silver epoxy. I can't do anything until it dries, and I can't heat the thing, so I'm probably going to have wait until Monday to do anything else. The funny thing is I had to do this earlier in the week and one of the wires fell off so I'm doing it again. Then and now, I spent the free time just browsing PF at work. This is going to be the second day I spent on PF when I should have been working. But hey, it's either this or watching glue dry! I feel I'm breaking some unnamed rule. Should I be getting paid to post in GD??!

Physics news on Phys.org
G01 said:
So, I had to glue some wires to a device with silver epoxy. I can't do anything until it dries, and I can't heat the thing, so I'm probably going to have wait until Monday to do anything else. The funny thing is I had to do this earlier in the week and one of the wires fell off so I'm doing it again. Then and now, I spent the free time just browsing PF at work. This is going to be the second day I spent on PF when I should have been working. But hey, it's either this or watching glue dry! I feel I'm breaking some unnamed rule. Should I be getting paid to post in GD??!
I think most of us posting during the day are <cough> at work. :uhh:

Evo said:
I think most of us posting during the day are <cough> at work. :uhh:

Good Point! At least I'm not alone!:rolleyes:

Same. My job right now is : Send out about 20 emails. Sit back and wait for someone to respond, do 5 minutes worth of work. Then wait anouth 2 hours for a response. Rinse and repeat.
Lately I've been learning how to program better in Excel VBA and having fun with that. Everyone has excel, so everyone has the macro VBA and its really fun to use. I recommend it.

I have an undergraduate research job. I gaurentee you I work less than anybody here.

I'm at work. Aside from an occassional bit of dusting the desks or cleaning the windows, I have nothing to do unless a client comes in. That averages about 1 every 15 minutes or so during the day, and each one takes about 2 or 3 minutes. It gets pretty heavy at lunch hour and after 5:30, though.
If you haven't been assigned anything to do in the meantime, then it's perfectly proper for you to do nothing.

DeadWolfe said:
I have an undergraduate research job. I gaurentee you I work less than anybody here.

HEY! Welcome to the club, me too!

You guys are at your REU's doing nothing?

mattmns said:
You guys are at your REU's doing nothing?

Well, I have a project, just at the moment, I can't move forward. It seems like that epoxy is almost dry though, I may be able to do some tests on this thing before the day is out.

EDIT: And now a grad student is using the camera I need! AAAGGGHHHHH!:mad:

Last edited:
Well, I'm doing a math REU, so my advisor just wants me to read and learn some stuff. Maybe it's just that reading math doesn't feel like work.

im at an internship and most of the time I am either doing nothing or when i do do something it takes me sooooo long cause i need supervision in the machine shop :rolleyes:. it took me 20 hours to make a table . I've also wondered about how ridiculous it is that i get payed.

I would not dream of posting from work, during the day. :approve:

I work graveyard.. I can only post from work at night! :biggrin:

My dad spent two months creating a moonlander VB game while waiting for security clearance at his last job.

Almost made me switch to engineering :D

IF you have to document your time, just put down "GD" and make them think it stands for "Glue Drying."

DeadWolfe said:

:bugeye: Wow. I was nice and gave my summer intern the afternoon off yesterday since we had put in enough hours Monday through Wed to count for a full week of work already, and we're meeting in about 20 min for some more work. I did leave her to just read articles on Thursday afternoon though (she has to do that too). If she's not working with me on her summer project, and not reading articles related to it, she's following around the grad student or tech learning to do the stuff she's going to have to do later in her project. She only has 10 weeks to work with us, so no excuse for not accomplishing as much as possible.

Actually, the really funny thing now is that I have an undergrad working for me who is a poli sci/history major. He wanted a summer job and didn't mind learning something totally new an unrelated to his major, and I needed help, so he's asked if we can take pictures of him all suited up in scrubs and surgical cap and mask so that people will believe him someday when they tell him he was doing this job. :biggrin: I'm all for giving someone in a poli sci major a glimpse of the world of science. In his case, though, there's not much point in paying him to sit around reading journal articles, but there's never any shortage of small tasks to be done.

Though, I did have one self-starter student who was a bit TOO good at keeping herself busy. Our tech went on vacation for 3 weeks, and since he wasn't around to instruct her on what to do, she took it upon herself to clean the lab. I'm still trying to find where she put some things. :rolleyes: It seems if she didn't know what something was, it got stored WAAAAYY in the back of out-of-the-way cabinets, which seems to be most of the stuff I need to find when I'm in the lab. :uhh:

I'd go insane with a job where there was nothing to do all day.

Moonbear said:
she took it upon herself to clean the lab. I'm still trying to find where she put some things.

W does that all the time. If I take a minute during a project to go throw a piss, everything is gone when I get back. :grumpy:
I can't wait until we move into my house, the basement of which I'm not going to give her a key to. :biggrin:

Chi Meson said:
IF you have to document your time, just put down "GD" and make them think it stands for "Glue Drying."

:rofl::rofl:

it isn't good to be payed while not being productive. you could try to do something else to prepare for another task or even just try to think of other stuff to do. if it really comes down to not having anything useful to do, maybe an employer could put 2 peoples' workloads into 1 cheek.

if the boss gives you bad looks when your not busy, then its usually a good idea to try a little harder to find something to spend your time on.

i spent some time at a metal fabrication place and they were short of work. one guy was so hard up for trying to keep himself busy he would find a piece of scrap at one end of the shop, walk it to the other end and find a new piece of scrap there to put back where he found the first one. since his time was totally useless, he got let go. it was nothing personal of course, the guy just didn't have tasks to do so they divided what little workload he had among everyone else.

for some jobs none of that matters though. government jobs are a great example since they can do nothing useful for days at a time and no one even thinks of cutting staff down.

I post here regularly during computers class while the people around me play solitaire

Ki Man said:
I post here regularly during computers class while the people around me play solitaire

A couple times I have walked in on my boss, not the one I have now, the one during I have at school, while she was playing solitaire! She also tried to explain to me how busy she was!:rolleyes:

1. Should I be getting paid for my work as a scientist?

It depends on the specific circumstances and agreements you have with your employer or funding source. Some scientists may receive salaries or stipends for their work, while others may work on a volunteer or unpaid basis. It is important to discuss and negotiate compensation before starting any scientific work.

2. What factors determine whether I should be paid for my work as a scientist?

The type of work, location, duration, and funding source are some of the main factors that may determine whether you should be paid for your work as a scientist. For example, if you are conducting research as part of a funded project, you may be entitled to a salary or stipend. However, if you are volunteering for a non-profit organization, you may not receive payment.

3. Can I negotiate my salary as a scientist?

Yes, you can negotiate your salary as a scientist. It is important to do your research and have a clear understanding of the value of your work and the industry standards. You can also negotiate for benefits, such as healthcare, vacation time, and professional development opportunities.

4. What are the benefits of getting paid as a scientist?

Getting paid for your work as a scientist can provide financial stability and recognition for your contributions. It can also allow you to focus on your research without having to worry about financial constraints. Additionally, receiving a salary or stipend may come with benefits such as healthcare, retirement savings, and access to resources and equipment.

5. How can I ensure that I am being fairly compensated for my work as a scientist?

To ensure that you are being fairly compensated for your work as a scientist, it is important to have clear and detailed agreements in place before starting any work. This includes discussing and negotiating compensation with your employer or funding source. You can also research industry standards and consult with colleagues or mentors to get an idea of what is considered fair compensation for your type of work and experience level.