Exploring the Effects of a Bar Magnet & Solenoid

In summary, a bar magnet positioned at the mouth of a solenoid and with the current turned on will experience an attractive force towards the solenoid. The solenoid is a lot bigger than the bar magnet, so the magnetic field lines in the region of the opening are uniform and parallel to the axis of the solenoid. The bar magnet will continue to be attracted and will enter the solenoid, and when the south poles meet, it will be repelled back out. This process will cause the magnet to oscillate near the opening of the solenoid. The magnet will eventually settle at the center of the solenoid, as the magnetic attraction is the strongest when the centers coincide.
PhysicsJunkie
1. The problem statement, all given/known data

A bar magnet is positioned at the mouth of a solenoid. The current indicated in the solenoid is then turned on. (Assume the solenoid is a lot bigger than the bar magnet.) Gravity and friction can be ignored.

Describe what would happen, and why.

For a visual representation:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3614/assignmentq.png

2. The attempt at a solution

To try and solve it I drew the above diagram. Since the north pole of the bar magnet is facing the south pole of the solenoid I suppose they would attract?

But I feel like there's something else that would happen (ex. something more drastic since the solenoid is much more massive).

Any help/explanations will be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF.

I think the reason they say the solenoid is much greater is that the magnetic field lines in the region of the opening will be uniform and parallel to the axis of the solenoid. Also that it is longer so no need to consider what happens if the end of the magnet should poke out the other end.

As you note the force is attractive. The field lines run through the coils, so the bar magnet will experience a force, there is no friction ... so ...

Thanks for the welcome! :smile:

So the bar would be simply be attracted? How close would it move to the solenoid before stopping? Would anything else occur?

PhysicsJunkie said:
So the bar would be simply be attracted? How close would it move to the solenoid before stopping? Would anything else occur?

As far as that goes yes. If the solenoid is open ended will it be drawn inside? If so, consider what happens after it is inside. Would it be pulled all the way through? Would it stop?

LowlyPion said:
As far as that goes yes. If the solenoid is open ended will it be drawn inside? If so, consider what happens after it is inside. Would it be pulled all the way through? Would it stop?

I suppose it would stop when the 2 south poles come in contact? Would the bar magnet then be repelled back out?

PhysicsJunkie said:
I suppose it would stop when the 2 south poles come in contact? Would the bar magnet then be repelled back out?

What would stop it? There's no friction or gravity.

Maybe it would oscillate inside?

LowlyPion said:
What would stop it? There's no friction or gravity.

Maybe it would oscillate inside?

Oh I think I understand the problem now. The magnet would enter the solenoid, then when the south poles meet, it will be repelled back out, then back in, then back out etc.?

So it will oscillate near the opening of the solenoid?

the magnet would be attracted to one side and then it would be situted at the centre of the soenoid . this is proven by a formula which shows tht the magnetic attraction is a function of the distn e btween the magent and the solenoid centre and this becomes a minimum whn the two centres coincide

1. What is a bar magnet?

A bar magnet is a permanent magnet made of a material, usually iron or steel, that has a north and south pole. It produces a magnetic field that can attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

2. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is often used in devices such as electromagnets, relays, and speakers.

3. How do bar magnets and solenoids interact?

When a bar magnet is placed near a solenoid, the changing magnetic field of the solenoid induces an electric current in the wire. This creates a temporary magnetic field in the solenoid that interacts with the bar magnet, causing it to either attract or repel depending on the orientation of the poles.

4. What are the effects of changing the distance between a bar magnet and solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field between the bar magnet and solenoid decreases as the distance between them increases. This means that the induced current in the solenoid will also decrease, resulting in a weaker interaction between the two.

5. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect its magnetic field?

Increasing the number of turns in a solenoid will increase the strength of its magnetic field. This is because each turn of wire adds to the overall magnetic field produced by the solenoid, resulting in a stronger interaction with the bar magnet.