I Can't understand this problem

• Thread starter dionys
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of probability to solve a problem involving midday temperatures in Hirakleio and Athens. The events A, B, and C are defined, and their probabilities are given. The question asks for the probability of the minimum temperature between the two cities being 25C. The use of the Addition Principle is suggested to solve the problem. The speaker clarifies that P(D) cannot be calculated using the formula P(D) = P(A intersection B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A union B) as it could result in negative probabilities.
dionys
Hi guys i have a problem but i don't know how to start solving this
can you help?

We have three events:

A={The midday temperature in Hirakleio is 25C}
B={The midday temperature in Athens is 25C}
C={The maximum of the two midday temperatures in Hirakleio and Athens is 25[degrees]C}
P(A)=0.3
P(B)=0.4
P(C)=0.2

Find the probability that the minimum temperature between the two midday temperatures is 25C

Physics news on Phys.org
Duh! seems like a pointless question unless they are defining C as AUB and D as AintersectionB where D is the required event.

In which case the simple Addition Principle does the job.

-- AI

so you say that :
P(D)=P(AintersectionB)=P(A)+P(B)-P(AUB)?

No, he DIDN'T say that! That would, in any situation at all, result in negative probabilities!

1. Why am I having trouble understanding this problem?

Understanding complex problems can be challenging for anyone. It could be due to a lack of background knowledge or not having enough time to fully comprehend the problem. It's important to break down the problem into smaller parts and ask for clarification if needed.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One helpful strategy is to approach problems systematically by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try discussing the problem with others or seeking out additional resources for guidance.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to understand a problem?

One common mistake is rushing through the problem without fully understanding it. Another mistake is not asking for help when needed or not seeking out additional resources for clarification. It's also important to avoid making assumptions and to carefully read and analyze all aspects of the problem.

4. How can I stay motivated when I can't understand a problem?

It's natural to feel frustrated or discouraged when faced with a challenging problem. To stay motivated, try taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try setting smaller, achievable goals for yourself and rewarding yourself for progress made.

5. What can I do if I still can't understand the problem after trying different approaches?

If you are still struggling to understand a problem, it may be helpful to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials, textbooks, or asking a teacher or mentor for help. It's also important to remember that it's okay to not understand something right away and to keep trying until you find a solution.