Green Products and the Economy

In summary, EPA is investigating the potential health risks with formaldehyde emissions from pressed wood products. The proposed rulemaking would require the use of "exterior-grade" pressed wood products (containing less formaldehyde) to reduce exposure.
jreelawg
I am a cabinet maker, and recently, I have had a lot of demand for E0, as they learn that Formaldehyde emissions from many building products are hazardous to your health.

"Sources of Formaldehyde

Pressed wood products (hardwood plywood wall paneling, particleboard, fiberboard) and furniture made with these pressed wood products. Urea-formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI). Combustion sources and environmental tobacco smoke. Durable press drapes, other textiles, and glues.

Proposed Rulemaking
Formaldehyde Emissions from Pressed Wood Products
EPA's Office of Prevention, Pesticides & Toxic Substances has launched an investigation of the potential health risks with formaldehyde emissions from pressed wood products. Read More
Health Effects

Formaldehyde, a colorless, pungent-smelling gas, can cause watery eyes, burning sensations in the eyes and throat, nausea, and difficulty in breathing in some humans exposed at elevated levels (above 0.1 parts per million). High concentrations may trigger attacks in people with asthma. There is evidence that some people can develop a sensitivity to formaldehyde. It has also been shown to cause cancer in animals and may cause cancer in humans. Health effects include eye, nose, and throat irritation; wheezing and coughing; fatigue; skin rash; severe allergic reactions. May cause cancer. May also cause other effects listed under "organic gases."

EPA's Integrated Risk Information System profile on Formaldehyde: www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0419.htm
Levels in Homes

Average concentrations in older homes without UFFI are generally well below 0.1 (ppm). In homes with significant amounts of new pressed wood products, levels can be greater than 0.3 ppm.

Steps to Reduce Exposure

Use "exterior-grade" pressed wood products (lower-emitting because they contain phenol resins, not urea resins).
Use air conditioning and dehumidifiers to maintain moderate temperature and reduce humidity levels.
Increase ventilation, particularly after bringing new sources of formaldehyde into the home.
Ask about the formaldehyde content of pressed wood products, including building materials, cabinetry, and furniture before you purchase them.

If you experience adverse reactions to formaldehyde, you may want to avoid the use of pressed wood products and other formaldehyde-emitting goods. Even if you do not experience such reactions, you may wish to reduce your exposure as much as possible by purchasing exterior-grade products, which emit less formaldehyde.

For further information on formaldehyde and consumer products, call the EPA Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA) assistance line (202) 554-1404
Some studies suggest that coating pressed wood products with polyurethane may reduce formaldehyde emissions for some period of time. To be effective, any such coating must cover all surfaces and edges and remain intact. Increase the ventilation and carefully follow the manufacturer instructions while applying these coatings. (If you are sensitive to formaldehyde, check the label contents before purchasing coating products to avoid buying products that contain formaldehyde, as they will emit the chemical for a short time after application.)

Maintain moderate temperature and humidity levels and provide adequate ventilation.

The rate at which formaldehyde is released is accelerated by heat and may also depend somewhat on the humidity level. Therefore, the use of dehumidifiers and air conditioning to control humidity and to maintain a moderate temperature can help reduce formaldehyde emissions. (Drain and clean dehumidifier collection trays frequently so that they do not become a breeding ground for microorganisms.) Increasing the rate of ventilation in your home will also help in reducing formaldehyde levels."

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/formalde.html

Anyways, I just wanted to use Formaldehyde as an example, as there are many products out there that are hazardous to our health. Basically, I don't understand why these products aren't banned when they are discovered to be toxic? And I know it is because of pressure from people who make the toxic stuff.

But anyways, I would think that if you did something like mandate that all building materials are E0 grade, no Formaldehyde emissions, and made the public aware of the health hazards of Formaldehyde, an emerging market of E0 building materials would boost the economy. The same with all materials.

Does anyone think that there is a legitimate reason not to ban things like Formaldehyde urea glue etc. Does anyone think that we have to live with these toxins and just try to limit exposure so that industry is healthy?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to your links -

The Vaughan et al. nasal and pharyngeal cancer case-control study examined occupational and residential exposures, controlling for smoking and alcohol consumption. It showed a significant association between nasopharyngeal cancer and having lived 10 or more years in a mobile home, especially for mobile homes built in the 1950s to 1970s, a period of increasing formaldehyde- resin usage. No exposure measurements were available.
This appears to have been solved in 1985.

Since 1985, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has permitted only the use of plywood and particleboard that conform to specified formaldehyde emission limits in the construction of prefabricated and mobile homes.

So, the practice was stopped 24 years ago.

Evo said:
According to your links -This appears to have been solved in 1985.
So, the practice was stopped 24 years ago.

It is very hard to find E0 ply-woods or particle board, and it is very expensive. They only limited the amount of formaldehyde emission used in "prefabricated, and manufactured homes", which was out of control.

My proposal is that http://www.epa.gov/iaq/formalde.html
, which off-gasses formaldehyde, be banned in the use of interior products all together. Why not, there are other glues like PVA's which could take it's place.

"In homes with significant amounts of new pressed wood products, levels can be greater than 0.3 ppm."

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/formalde.html

There is no good reason why E0 products should be so expensive and hard to find, except that they are rare. They are rare because you can save a few cents on the dollar using U.F. adhesive. As a result, business people are forced to use these materials to compete. Which is also a moral dilemma. I don't feel good selling things which off-gas formaldehyde.
Even a low emitting product can be bad when your whole house is filled with the stuff. From your floors, to your walls, to your cabinets, counter tops, and furniture.

And as it relates to the economy, why not mandate that people making so much per year, who have children, replace their floors, furniture etc, with E0 stuff. An economic stimulus, potential for a savings in health care, and a better quality of life for millions of people.

Last edited:
How do metal or synthetic materials compare price wise, or cheap woods such as pine? My parents had an ultra-modern "house of the future" back in the 50's. It was a steel framed house with all brick exterior and the kitchen cabinets were metal.

I am all for the concrete homes. In countries like Italy, it is the norm, wood frame homes, I believe, aren't even allowed due to fire codes. Concrete homes are starting to gain popularity in the US. I would love a concrete home. As far as cabinets, I would go with a fabricated material such (synthetic) for cabinets or real wood. It's a one time cost, not something worth cutting corners on, there just aren't that many cupboards in a house.

Last edited:
Evo said:
How do metal or synthetic materials compare pricewise, or cheap woods such as pine? My parents had an ultra-modern "house of the future" back in the 50's. It was a steel framed house with all brick exterior and the kitchen cabinets were metal.

Metal cabinets would be cool.

It is really just a lot easier and less time consuming to use sheets of plywood or particle board for certain things. Mostly because it comes in wide sheets. For example, the backing. You want it to be enclosed so pests don't get in. Nobody sees the back panel of a cabinet. If you use pine, and and want the cabinet enclosed, you would need to glue multiple boards together to make solid wood panel. So you would have to spend the time machining the boards to precise measurements, gluing and clamping sanding, and then you have your solid panel.

Most people are looking for the best bang for the buck, and they can get something made mostly out of particle board on the inside, with the look of high quality hardwood on the outside. It is hard to rationalize paying more for things you don't really even see.

I wonder if after the dot-com bubble, and the real estate bubble, we will now have a Green bubble ?

1. What are green products and how are they different from regular products?

Green products are goods or services that have been produced using environmentally friendly methods and materials. This means that they have a minimal impact on the environment during their production, use, and disposal. They are different from regular products because they are designed to reduce waste, conserve resources, and minimize negative impacts on the environment.

2. Can green products help boost the economy?

Yes, green products can help boost the economy in several ways. First, they create new jobs in the green industry, which includes manufacturing, installation, and maintenance of green products. Second, they can reduce the cost of energy and resources, leading to cost savings for both consumers and businesses. Finally, the demand for green products has been steadily increasing, creating new market opportunities for businesses and driving economic growth.

3. Are green products more expensive than regular products?

In general, green products may have a higher upfront cost compared to regular products. However, in the long run, they can save consumers and businesses money through energy and resource efficiency. Additionally, as the demand for green products increases, the cost of production is expected to decrease, making them more affordable in the future.

4. How do green products impact the environment?

Green products have a positive impact on the environment as they are produced using sustainable methods and materials that minimize the use of natural resources and reduce waste and pollution. They also have a lower carbon footprint compared to regular products, which helps mitigate the effects of climate change.

5. What are some examples of green products?

Examples of green products include energy-efficient appliances, eco-friendly cleaning products, organic and locally sourced food, electric or hybrid vehicles, and renewable energy sources such as solar panels and wind turbines. There are also green alternatives for everyday items such as reusable water bottles, biodegradable utensils, and sustainable clothing made from organic materials.