Complex Fourier Series and Phase Spectra

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the complex form of the Fourier series of the sawtooth function and finding and plotting the discrete amplitude and phase spectra for the function. The formula for the Fourier series is c_n = -\frac{2(-1)^n}{in\pi } and the amplitude is found to be ||c_n|| = \frac{2}{T \omega _0 n}}. However, the phase angle is incorrectly calculated as the correct formula is c_n = ||c_n||e^{i \phi}. The question also provides hints and asks for help in finding the phase angle and plotting it against angular frequency.
mathwurkz
Please check my solution and I need help on understanding the second part of the question.
Q:Obtain the complex form of the Fourier series of the sawtooth function.
[tex]f(t) = \frac{2t}{T} \ \ \ 0 < t < 2T\\[/tex]
So if the period is 2l = 2T then l = T
[tex]\\ c_n = \frac{1}{2l} \int_{-l}^{l} f(x) e^{in\pi x / l} dx \\
c_n = \frac{1}{2T} \int_{-T}^{T} \frac{2t}{T} e^{in\pi t / T} dt = \frac{1}{T^2} \int_{-T}^{T} te^{-in\pi t / T} dt \\[/tex]
Then I used integration by parts.
[tex]\\ u = t \ \ \ du = dt\ \ \ dv = e^{-in\pit / T} \ \ \ v = -\frac{T}{in \pi }e^{-in\pit / T}\\[/tex]
And here we go...
[tex]\\ = \frac{1}{T^2}\left[-t\frac{T}{in\pi }e^{-in\pi t / T}|_{-T}^{T} + \frac{T}{in\pi } \int_{-T}^{T} e^{-in\pi t / T} dt\right]\\[/tex]
I skip a few steps too much nitty gritty and then I arrive at...
[tex]\\ \frac{1}{in\pi } \left[ \left(-e^{-in\pi } - e^{in\pi }\right) - \frac{1}{in \pi} \left( e^{-in\pi - e^{in\pi }\right)\right]\\[/tex]
and since I know:
[tex]\\ e^{+-iat} = \cos{at} +- i \sin{at} \\{[/tex]
then it becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{in\pi } \left[ \left(-\cos{n\pi } - \cos{n\pi }\right) - \frac{1}{in \pi} \left( \cos{n\pi } - \cos{n\pi }\right)\right]\\[/tex]
and the end result is...
[tex]c_n = -\frac{2(-1)^n}{in\pi }\\[/tex]
and the Fourier series is...
[tex]f(t) = \sum_{-\infty}^{infty} -\frac{2(-1)^n}{in\pi } e^{in\pi t / T}[/tex]
The second part the question, the one I do not understand is it asks to find and plot the discrete amplitude and phase spectra for f(t) above. In general, a complex quantity G(t), can be written [tex] G(t) = ||G(t)||e^{i\phi t}[/tex] where ||G(t)|| is the amplitude and [tex]\phi (t)[/tex] is the phase angle. When these quantities are function of angular frequency, w, the plots resulting from their graphs vs w are called spectra.
hints: [tex]\omega _0 = \frac{\pi}{T} \ \ \ c_n = ||c_n||e^{i \phi}\\[/tex]
So what I did was find ||c_n||...
[tex]||c_n|| = \frac{2}{\pi n} = \frac{2}{T \omega _0 n}}\\[/tex]
Is this right though? And how do I go about finding the phase angle? and then plotting it vs omega. thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{1}{in\pi } \left[ (-e^{-in\pi } &- e^{in\pi }) - \frac{1}{in \pi} ( e^{-in\pi} - e^{in\pi })\right]\notag\\
&\neq \frac{1}{in\pi } \left[ \left(-\cos{n\pi } - \cos{n\pi }\right) - \frac{1}{in \pi}
{\color{red}
( \cos{n\pi } - \cos{n\pi })\right]
}\notag
\end{align}
[/tex]
Sines?

Last edited:

FAQ: Complex Fourier Series and Phase Spectra

1. What is a Complex Fourier Series?

A Complex Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is used to analyze and decompose periodic signals into their individual frequency components.

2. How is a Complex Fourier Series different from a regular Fourier Series?

A regular Fourier Series only uses real exponential functions, while a Complex Fourier Series includes both real and imaginary exponential functions. This allows for a more accurate representation of periodic signals with complex components.

3. What is the significance of the Phase Spectra in a Complex Fourier Series?

The Phase Spectra represents the phase relationships between the different frequency components in a periodic signal. It can provide insight into the behavior and characteristics of the signal, such as its symmetry and periodicity.

4. How is a Complex Fourier Series used in signal processing and analysis?

A Complex Fourier Series is used in signal processing and analysis to break down a complex signal into its individual frequency components. This allows for the identification of specific frequencies and their corresponding amplitudes, which can be useful in filtering, compression, and other signal manipulation techniques.

5. Can a Complex Fourier Series be used for non-periodic signals?

No, a Complex Fourier Series is only applicable to periodic signals. For non-periodic signals, other techniques such as the Fourier Transform or Wavelet Transform are used for analysis.