Characterize Fourier coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given function is even or odd, and the possibility of doing so without specifying certain values. It is suggested that the largest Fourier coefficient may have something to do with the frequency and exponent in the Fourier series. The function in question is found to be neither even nor odd, and its properties are explored further. The conversation concludes with questions about the effect of certain values on the coefficients.
schniefen
Homework Statement
Consider the function ##p(t)=\sin{(t/\tau)}## for ##0\leq t <2\pi \tau## and ##p(t)=0## for ##2\pi \tau \leq t < T##, which is periodically repeated outside the interval ##[0,T)## with period ##T## (we assume ##2\pi \tau < T##). Which restrictions do you expect for the Fourier coefficients ##a_j## and which Fourier coefficient do you expect to be largest?
Relevant Equations
For even functions, ##a_j=a_{-j}##. For odd functions, ##a_j=-a_{-j}##. Also, I use the complex Fourier series, i.e. ##\sum_{j=-\infty}^{\infty} a_j e^{i2\pi jt/T}##. Note that for even and odd functions the coefficients are real and imaginary respectively.
I would try to determine whether ##p(t)## is even or odd. This would be so much easier if the values of ##\tau## and ##T## would be specified, but maybe it's possible to do without it, which I'd prefer. If for example ##\tau=1/2## and ##T=2\pi##, then ##p(t)=\sin{(2t)}## for ##0\leq t <\pi ## and ##p(t)=0## for ##\pi \leq t < 2\pi##. Then ##p(\pi)=0## and ##p(-\pi)=p(-\pi+2\pi)=p(\pi)=0##. The function is even (so ##a_j=a_{-j}## and ##a_j## is real).

I am unsure which Fourier coefficient will be largest. Possibly it has something to do with the frequency ##1/\tau## and the ##2\pi j/T## in the exponent of ##e## in the Fourier series. I am unsure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. With the ##e{}## in your Fourier series you will have a periodic ##\delta## function.

[itex]p[/itex] is neither even nor odd: it consists of a single complete period of [itex]\sin(t/\tau)[/itex] over [itex]0 \leq t \leq 2\pi \tau[/itex] followed by a constant zero over [itex]2\pi \tau < t < T[/itex]. Thus [itex]|f(-t)| = 0 \neq |f(t)|[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq t \leq 2\pi \tau[/itex]. The function is real, so [itex]a_{{-}j}[/itex] and [itex]a_j[/itex] are complex conjugates. The average is zero, so [itex]a_0[/itex] is zero.

What happens if [itex]T[/itex] is an integer multiple of [itex]2\pi \tau[/itex]? What happens if this only approxiamtely true?

In this case it is easy to compute the coefficients [itex]a_j[/itex] expressly in order to confirm your hypotheses.

1. What are Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are the coefficients that represent the contribution of each individual frequency to a periodic function. They are used to characterize the frequency components of a signal or function.

2. How are Fourier coefficients calculated?

Fourier coefficients are calculated using the Fourier series, which decomposes a function into a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. The coefficients are determined by integrating the function with respect to time and the corresponding frequency.

3. What is the significance of Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are important because they allow us to analyze and understand the frequency components of a signal or function. They can also be used to reconstruct the original function from its frequency components.

4. Can Fourier coefficients be negative?

Yes, Fourier coefficients can be negative. This indicates that the corresponding frequency component has a negative amplitude in the original function.

5. How do Fourier coefficients relate to the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a generalization of the Fourier series, where the function is not necessarily periodic. The Fourier transform represents the function in terms of its frequency components, similar to how Fourier coefficients represent the frequency components in a periodic function.