Register to reply

Determination of atomic bases in unit cell using Wien2k

by hokhani
Tags: atomic, bases, cell, determination, unit
Share this thread:
hokhani
Aug19-14, 11:57 AM
P: 272
After specifying the primitive vectors of a structure namely (a,b,c) in Wien2k, one has to specify locations of atoms in unit cell.There are three components X,Y,Z which determine the atom location. I want to know whether "X,Y,Z components" are corresponding to vectors a,b,c or they are components of the cartesian system? In other words If we have a typical (X,Y,Z), dose it means that atom location is r=Xa/a+Yb/b+Zc/c or r=Xi/a+Yj/b+Zk/c?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Simulation method identifies materials for better batteries
Greg Bernhardt
Aug26-14, 04:26 PM
Admin
P: 9,701
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
Aug27-14, 04:16 AM
P: 673
I don't know Wien2k, but the usual convention is to specify XYZ in units of the unit cell vectors abc.

An easy way to check is to use a small, primitive low-symmetry cell, calculate whatever you calculate, and then to double a lattice parameter and add a basis e.g. at (1/2,0,0) for a-->2a. The result should be the same.

If not, you are not using the correct convention.

hokhani
Sep1-14, 07:51 AM
P: 272
Determination of atomic bases in unit cell using Wien2k

Quote Quote by M Quack View Post
I don't know Wien2k, but the usual convention is to specify XYZ in units of the unit cell vectors abc.

An easy way to check is to use a small, primitive low-symmetry cell, calculate whatever you calculate, and then to double a lattice parameter and add a basis e.g. at (1/2,0,0) for a-->2a. The result should be the same.

If not, you are not using the correct convention.
Yes. you are right. I found that XYZ are in units of abc.

Register to reply