Basic Time and Distance Measurement Help

In summary: Then, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for t. This will give you the time when the bike is no longer ahead of the car. From there, you can use one of the equations of motion to find the maximum distance that the bike leads the car by. Remember to use the same units consistently throughout the problem.
parwana
Vroom-vroom! As soon as a traffic light turns green, a car speeds up from rest to 50.0 mi/h with a constant acceleration of 8.60 mi/hs. In the adjoining bike lane, a cyclist speeds up from rest to 20.0 mi/h with a constant acceleration of 14.5 mi/hs. Each vehicle maintains a constant velocity after reaching its cruising speed.

(a) For how long is the bicycle ahead of the car?

(b) By what maximum distance does the bicycle lead the car?

for b I tried to find distance of car at Veolocity= 20, distance of bike at veolicty=20 by finding t when velocity =20 and then finding distance by using the result of my equation. My answer, 9.6291 is coming up wrong. Help

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the equations of motion. In which relation are the velocities of the cycle and the car in the moment when the cycle isn't ahead of the car anymore?

a.

xcar(v=50)= 50^2/2(8.6)= 145.348
tcar(v=50)= 50/8.6= 5.8139

xbike(v=20)= 20^2/2(14.5)= 13.79
tbike(v=20)= 20/14.5= 1.379

145.348 + 50(t-5.8139)= 13.793 + 20(t-1.379)
t= 4.38519

Thats my answer but its not right, please help

b. x car(v=20)= 20^2/2(8.6)= 23.2558 ft
x bike(v=20)=
t(v=20)= 20/14.5= 1.379
x(t=1.379)= 1/2(14.5)(1.379)^2= 13.786
23.2558-13.786= 9.468

thats wrong as well, what am I doing wrong?

You have to use correct UNITS. You can't use mph/s for acceleration. You have to convert to feet/s/s and feet/s for velocity!

Last edited:
please help more, I have been doing this problem the entire day and haven't got it right, I am so fed up

In what units are the results given? Maybe you didn't convert something, as civil_dude stated above. Further on, draw v-t graphs for both the car and the cycle, perhaps the solution will appear more clear.

thank u so much guys, especially radou and civil dude, the units were messed up initially, which I fixed, thanks

Teacher Couldn't Solve This

My teacher spent 20 minutes in class using a system of equations attempting to sovle this w/o success.

Here is how I tried to do it (although I am still not sure if I am on the right track).

Fist, I converted everything to ft/sec

Car: (a)9.0 mi/hr/sec---> 13.1ft/s^2
(vfinal) 50.0mi/hr---> 73.3ft/s

Bike: (a)13.0 mi/hr/sec--->19.3ft/s^2
(vfinal) 20.0mi.hr--->29.3ft/s

I then tried to figure out how big the lead would be once the bike was finished accelerating.

Time for bike to top speed:
3rdKEQ: vf=vi+at
1.52secs second to top speed

Distance for bike to top speed:
4thKEQ: d=vi+vf/2 * t
22.3 ft to top speed.

Now, we need to find where the car is @ 1.538 secs
1stKEQ: d=Vit + 1/2 at^2
7.16 feet

So, at 1.538 secs, the bike is at 22.3 feet and the car is at 7.16 feet.
This puts the bike at its top speed with a 15.13 foot lead on the car.

I just have no idea where to go from here. Am I on the right track?

Yes, you are on the right track. Now you have the distance between the two and can figure out how long it takes for the bike to travel a distance d, and the car to travel a distance d + 15.13.

Related to Basic Time and Distance Measurement Help

1. What is the basic unit of time measurement?

The basic unit of time measurement is the second. It is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom.

2. How is distance typically measured?

Distance is typically measured in units such as meters, kilometers, feet, or miles. It can also be measured using other units, such as astronomical units or light years, depending on the scale of the object being measured.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, regardless of direction. Velocity, on the other hand, is a measure of both speed and direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How do you calculate average speed?

Average speed can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. For example, if a car travels 100 kilometers in 2 hours, the average speed would be 50 kilometers per hour.

5. How does time and distance relate to each other in terms of measurement?

Time and distance are directly related in terms of measurement. The longer the time, the greater the distance traveled, assuming a constant speed. This relationship is described by the formula distance = speed x time.