Question on Thermodynamics (adiabatic and isothermal expansions)

In summary, the conversation discusses the compression of a cubic metre of air at 0 degrees Celsius and 1 atm to 10 atm, and asks about the final temperature if compressed adiabatically and the amount of heat to be removed if compressed isothermally. The use of the relationship PV^gamma = K and the first law of thermodynamics is suggested to solve these questions. Possible shortcuts are also mentioned, such as considering the heat removed to bring the air down to 273K after adiabatic compression and its equivalence to an isothermal path.
runciblesp00n

Homework Statement

A cubic metre of air at 0degreesC and 1 atm is compressed reversibly to 10 atm.

(a) What is the final temperature if it is compressed adiabatically?

(b) How much heat must be removed if it is compressed isothermally?

I understand what the two different terms mean, but I just don't seem to be able to answer this for some reason. If someone could explain how to go about answering it that would be really helpful!

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I tried to use the relationship that T^gamma x p ^ (1-gamma) is constant, where gamma = Cp/Cv, but that didn't work at all.

For (b) I thought I'd take dU = -pdV and integrate it with respect to dV with p = 1/V but (obviously I guess) this didn't really work.

Any help in the way of what method to use, etc, is appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
runciblesp00n said:

Homework Statement

A cubic metre of air at 0degreesC and 1 atm is compressed reversibly to 10 atm.

(a) What is the final temperature if it is compressed adiabatically?

(b) How much heat must be removed if it is compressed isothermally?

For (a) I tried to use the relationship that T^gamma x p ^ (1-gamma) is constant, where gamma = Cp/Cv, but that didn't work at all.
It should work. Try using:

[tex]PV^{\gamma} = K[/tex]

to find the new volume and then apply PV=nRT to work out the new temperature.

What are you using for [itex]\gamma[/itex] ?

I get T2 = (10/5.18)*273 = 527 K.

For (b) I thought I'd take dU = -pdV and integrate it with respect to dV with p = 1/V but (obviously I guess) this didn't really work.
If it is isothermal, does U change? So how is the heat released related to the work done? Use the first law: dQ = dU + PdV

The question is not clear whether you are to compress it to the same volume or pressure as in the adiabatic case. If you assume it is to be compressed to the 10 atm, it is just a matter of applying PV=nRT to find V where T is constant. If you compress to the same volume as in the adiabatic case, use that volume.

Possible shortcut to consider: If the volume is to be compressed to 5.18 L, (same as the adiabatic case) how much heat is removed to bring the air down to 273K after you adiabatically compress it? Is that equivalent to an isothermal path (assuming the heat capacity does not depend on temperature)?

AM

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between adiabatic and isothermal expansions in thermodynamics?

Adiabatic expansion refers to a process in which the system expands without any heat exchange with the surroundings, while isothermal expansion refers to a process in which the temperature of the system remains constant during expansion. In adiabatic expansion, the internal energy of the system decreases, while in isothermal expansion, the internal energy remains constant.

2. How do adiabatic and isothermal expansions affect the work done by the system?

In adiabatic expansion, the work done by the system is greater than in isothermal expansion because there is no heat transfer to the surroundings, resulting in a larger change in internal energy. In isothermal expansion, the work done is less due to the constant temperature and smaller change in internal energy.

3. Can you explain the relationship between pressure and volume in adiabatic and isothermal expansions?

In adiabatic expansion, the pressure and volume are inversely proportional, following the equation P1V1^γ = P2V2^γ, where γ is the adiabatic index. In isothermal expansion, the pressure and volume are directly proportional, following the equation P1V1 = P2V2.

4. How do adiabatic and isothermal expansions affect the internal energy of a system?

In adiabatic expansion, the internal energy decreases as the system does work on the surroundings, resulting in a decrease in temperature. In isothermal expansion, the internal energy remains constant as the system expands, resulting in a constant temperature.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic and isothermal expansions?

An example of adiabatic expansion is a gas expanding rapidly in a cylinder without any heat transfer, such as in a car engine. An example of isothermal expansion is the expansion of a gas in a refrigerator as it absorbs heat from the surroundings, maintaining a constant temperature.