Which Calculus Book is Best for BC Prep?

In summary, the speaker has taken one year of AP Calculus AB in high school and plans to take BC Calculus next year. They are looking for recommendations for a calculus book to study over the summer in order to excel in their upcoming class and move on to higher math. Some suggestions include Spivak's calculus, a book by Swokowski, and Stewart's book. Another suggestion is the "Essential Calculus" book, which has a chapter of motivational problems.
HappyTheMan
Hi!

I have taken one year in calculus so far in high school( AP calculus AB) and I am signed up to take BC calculus next year. However, I would like to work on some calculus over the summer to be able to breeze through the material during the year so that I can move on to higher math. I bought Spivak's calculus already but I think that I need something less abstract and with more practice problems, while at the same time covering any material I would learn in BC.

Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
then just move on with whatever Calculus book you're using

http://www.verycd.com/topics97175"

http://www.verycd.com/topics/2793196/"
It is written by Г.М.Хихтенгольц.i think it is a very good book to learn Calculus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Get Early Transcendentals by Stewart

I suggest Stewart's book as an introductory piece for Calculus. You could also start with Spivak's calculus, and use Stewart as reference.

This may be too introductory for your needs, but the book "Essential Calculus" has a chapter of Motivational Problems that you might enjoy working through:

http://c-c-i.com/calculus

Related to Which Calculus Book is Best for BC Prep?

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and infinite processes.

2. Why do I need a Calculus book?

If you are studying mathematics or pursuing a career in a field that involves mathematics, such as engineering, physics, or economics, a Calculus book is essential. It is a fundamental tool for solving complex problems and understanding the world around us.

3. What are the key topics covered in a Calculus book?

A typical Calculus book covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and sequences and series. It also includes exercises and practice problems to help reinforce the concepts.

4. How do I choose the right Calculus book?

Choosing the right Calculus book depends on your level of understanding and your learning style. Look for a book that is comprehensive, well-organized, and has clear explanations and examples. You may also want to consider the author's teaching style and the book's reviews from other readers.

5. Are there any online resources for studying Calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying Calculus, such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive demonstrations. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Paul's Online Math Notes. However, a textbook is still recommended for a comprehensive understanding of the subject.