What causes a bent notebook page to push back against a pen?

• Thread starter lendav_rott
  • Start date
In summary, the A4 sized notebook's bent page creates a spring-like effect when a pen rolls on it. This is due to one side of the page absorbing more moisture than the other, causing it to curl. As the pen rolls, it pushes against the curled page, slowing its roll. If the pen rolls fast enough, it overcomes the springiness and rolls off the page.
lendav_rott
I have a A4 sized notebook and every time I work on something, a corner of the page gets bent up - as I roll my pen on it I notice that if I don't roll it fast enough, it won't roll off the notebook, it reaches the top part of the bent part of the page and then comes to a halt and rolls back down.

Normally this would be a ball in a bowl problem, but the bowl's surface is solid and doesn't change. The bent page, however, does.

What is the force that the bent page counteracts the approaching pen with? The page is bent up, but as the pen rolls on it, it starts to bend back down, but if the pen isn't rolling fast enough, the page bends itself back up and pushes the pen back.

How does this work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a spring.

The page curls because one side has absorbed more moisture than the other side (or one side has lost more moisture). The side with more expands causing the paper to curl.

The curled page then has a little springiness to it so as the pen rolls on it the paper gives and the pen slows its roll and then it pushes the pen back. If the pen rolls faster then it overcomes the springiness and rolls off and the paper springs back.

Related to What causes a bent notebook page to push back against a pen?

1. What causes a notebook page to become bent?

A notebook page can become bent if it is repeatedly folded or if pressure is applied to it, such as from being carried in a bag or pocket.

2. How does a bent notebook page affect writing with a pen?

A bent notebook page may make it difficult to write smoothly with a pen, as the surface is no longer flat and may cause the pen to skip or drag.

3. Can a bent notebook page be flattened?

Yes, a bent notebook page can be flattened by placing a heavy book or object on top of it for a period of time, or using a warm iron on a low setting to gently press out the bend.

4. How can I prevent a notebook page from becoming bent?

To prevent a notebook page from becoming bent, it is best to store it in a protective folder or binder when not in use. Avoid folding or applying pressure to the page.

5. Will using a pen on a bent notebook page cause damage to the pen?

Using a pen on a bent notebook page may cause the pen to wear down faster or become clogged with paper fibers, but it should not cause permanent damage to the pen.