How to memorize all drug names

• Thread starter Medicol
  • Start date
In summary, two individuals discuss a plan to learn commonly used drugs for common cold and chemotherapy, and the format in which they will be written down. One individual questions if this is enough for their sole purpose, and the other provides a link with mnemonic devices and explanations about root words to aid in memorization.
Medicol
I have a plan to learn most commonly used drugs for common cold and chemotherapy related.
I am going to write them down in the following format

Drug name: xxxx
Chemical Compounds: xxxx
Intended Use: xxx
Warning: xxx

Each of them is shortly described. I still think I don't need to learn its compound though.
Do you think this is enough for my sole purpose that is to turn them into common knowledge ( because I am not a medical student ) ?

If anyone here is a druggist, could you tell me how long did it take you to memorize all common drug names ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person
Use pegging and method of loci. You can also use acronyms and acrostics to strengthen these memories.

dkotschessaa said:
I actually googled this (I have no medical background. I just thought your question was interesting) and found:

http://allnurses.com/nursing-student-assistance/there-easy-way-438475.html

Some good mnemonic devices there (aids to memory) as well as explanations about how different types of drugs have different root words, etc.

-Dave K

Nice link! Thanks Dave.

I would advise against solely relying on a memorization strategy for learning drug names. While having a structured format to write them down may help with organization, it is important to also understand the underlying principles and mechanisms of how the drugs work, as well as potential side effects and interactions. This is especially important for someone who is not a medical student, as simply memorizing names without understanding their purpose and effects can be dangerous.

Instead, I would suggest using active learning techniques such as creating flashcards or using mnemonic devices to help with memorization, while also taking the time to research and understand the drugs in more depth. Additionally, regularly reviewing and practicing with the information is key to retaining it in long-term memory.

As for the question of how long it takes to memorize all common drug names, it varies greatly depending on the individual's learning style and dedication. For a druggist or medical professional who is consistently exposed to and working with these names, it may take less time compared to someone who is not in the field. However, the important factor is not just memorization, but also understanding and being able to apply the knowledge in a practical setting.

1. How can I remember all of the drug names?

To remember all of the drug names, it is important to understand the underlying principles and patterns. Start by breaking down the names into smaller components, such as prefixes and suffixes, and learn the meanings of these parts. This will make it easier to remember the names as a whole. It is also helpful to create associations or mnemonic devices to help with memorization.

2. What is the best way to study and memorize drug names?

The best way to study and memorize drug names is through active learning techniques. This can include creating flashcards, practice quizzes, and using mnemonic devices. It is also important to review the drug names regularly and in different contexts to reinforce the information.

3. How do I differentiate between similar drug names?

Differentiating between similar drug names can be challenging, but it is important to pay attention to the details and differences between them. Focus on the prefixes and suffixes, as well as the drug's classification, to help distinguish between similar names. It can also be helpful to create visual aids or memory tricks to differentiate between these drugs.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me memorize drug names?

Yes, there are several online resources that can help with memorizing drug names. These include flashcard websites, practice quizzes, and interactive games. You can also find study guides and mnemonic devices created by other students or professionals to aid in memorization.

5. How long does it take to memorize all of the drug names?

The time it takes to memorize all of the drug names can vary for each person. It depends on factors such as the individual's learning style, the complexity of the drug names, and the amount of time dedicated to studying. It is important to be patient and consistent with your studying, and to seek help or additional resources if needed.