Having trouble with logical reasoning

• Thread starter oneamp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question that asks the reader to assume a statement is true and then consider two conclusions to determine which logically follows. The first conclusion suggests that people have a craze for videos based on the statement about flourishing video libraries, but the second conclusion stating that it is cheaper to watch videos rather than go to the cinema does not logically follow the premise. The test may consider both conclusions as valid solutions, but they are not based on sound logic. The conversation also questions the target audience and goal of the test, and whether it is reasonable to draw these conclusions based on the given statement.
oneamp
The subject seems inexact to me. For example:

--
In each question below is given a statement followed by two conclusions numbered I and II. You have to assume everything in the statement to be true, then consider the two conclusions together and decide which of them logically follows beyond a reasonable doubt from the information given in the statement.
---

The question is:

Statements: Video libraries are flourishing very much these days.

Conclusions:

People in general have got a video craze.
It is much cheaper to see as many movies as one likes on videos rather than going to the cinema hall.
----

I conclude neither of them, because there's not enough evidence to say that either I or II caused it. But the test says both of them. What do I miss?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see how the first can be inferred from the premise, but not the second conclusion.

I'd like to see the reasoning for that...neither logically follows. Are you sure the test says that both of them follow logically? Or does it say that neither follow?

If the test is looking to see if you can provide reasonable solutions to questions, then perhaps both of the answer provide a possible solution which is consistent with logic, but this is not logical reasoning. This is using implicit and often vague semantics to reason potentially true points.

I found a site with this question and others, and I'm still trying to understand who the target audience is, and what the ultimate goal of this test is...the majority of these are not built on sound logic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm inclined to agree with the OP (and I hate this sort of woolly "liberal arts" thinking style).

It is obviously true that "video libraries are flourishing" means there is a lot of use of video libraries. But "Linux distributions are flourishing" doesn't imply "People in general have got a craze for Linux". Some people have, but (I'm guessing) not the majority of "people" even in first world countries.

The second one doesn't seem to follow at all. For example Tesla Motors is "flourishing" by selling very expensive cars to a tiny number of customers, compared with the total number of cars in use.

Sorry, but we can't discuss random websites.

Please see Travis_King's post, I deleted the link to the website, sorry, I should have explained that. Just because someone posts something on the internet doesn't mean it makes sense and is worthy of discussion here, as has been pointed out. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is logical reasoning?

Logical reasoning is the process of using critical thinking and deductive reasoning to draw conclusions based on evidence and facts. It involves analyzing information, identifying patterns, and making logical connections to arrive at a logical conclusion.

2. Why is logical reasoning important?

Logical reasoning is important because it allows us to think critically and make informed decisions based on evidence and facts. It helps us to identify flaws in arguments and avoid making hasty or biased judgments. In fields such as science, mathematics, and law, logical reasoning is essential for problem-solving and decision-making.

3. What are some common challenges in logical reasoning?

Some common challenges in logical reasoning include cognitive biases, which are our tendency to make judgments based on our beliefs and emotions rather than evidence. Other challenges include incomplete or misleading information, lack of critical thinking skills, and lack of understanding of logical fallacies.

4. How can I improve my logical reasoning skills?

To improve your logical reasoning skills, you can practice critical thinking by questioning information and arguments, evaluating evidence, and identifying fallacies. You can also read and solve puzzles or problems that require logical reasoning. Additionally, taking courses or workshops on critical thinking and logic can also help improve your skills.

5. Can logical reasoning be taught?

Yes, logical reasoning can be taught. While some people may have a natural inclination towards logical thinking, anyone can improve their logical reasoning skills through practice and learning. It is a skill that can be developed and honed over time with the right techniques and approaches.