What Do You Use to Secure Masses in a Young's Modulus Experiment?

In summary, in this young modulus experiment, the author attempted to hang masses from two ends using different methods- with no success. One possible solution might be to use bulldog clips, but this may not be effective due to the mass's potential to fall off the system. Additionally, the geometry of the system may need to be specifically configured in order to ensure success.
lonny_luner
Urgent help! Young modulus how to hold masses

In a young modulus experiment Ieed to holdp the msss i decdied to use hole puncher at both ends I relsiedthis woodnt work becaue strech properly

I culd use bull dogclips but masses may make it fall off

Wha do u nomally use in a young modulus experiment to hang mases

Physics news on Phys.org
reply pleasezzzzzzzzzz

life an death situation

reply!1

please!1

lonny_luner said:
reply!1

please!1

Please don't do that!

Now please write clearly with proper English, and describe the geometry of one's system.

Young's modulus is most often determined in a tensile testing rig, rather than with a suspended mass.

What is the specimen geometry?

well its a striaght forward experiment

Stand vertical, boss and clamp horizental with meter stick ruler vertical,

Testing strips of plastic

If i Hang the mass off a hole at the bottom then it will only strec from that point

I just want to know what to use to hang the masses off

only other thing i can think of is a bulldog clip

and sorry i offended u wid explanation marks lol

and sorry i offended u wid explanation marks lol
No offense - just annoying. :smile:

So the specimens are plastic tape? thread? of which one knows the cross-sectional area.

One has the load and displacement from which one calculates stress and strain from which one calculates the elastic modulus?

Other than bulldog clips, which might work one could use cyanoacrylate or super glue (or other strong adhesive) and glue the tape to itself after looping over a horizontal bar.

rite thank you

I fort there mite b some specific eqiupment for this

dont have to answer

wot d u do now work/ college/uni

I work in an engineering company. My primary work is thermo-mechanical analysis, and part of that is understanding materials testing from which one develops constitutive models for various analyses.

Question 1: What is the definition of Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in a material under an applied force.

Question 2: Why is Young's modulus important?

Young's modulus is important because it helps to quantify the strength and stiffness of a material, which is crucial for understanding how a material will behave under different stresses and strains. It is also a key factor in determining the elastic properties of a material, which can affect its suitability for certain applications.

Question 3: How do you calculate Young's modulus?

Young's modulus is calculated by dividing the stress by the strain in a material. This can be done using the formula E = σ/ε, where E is Young's modulus, σ is stress, and ε is strain. The units for Young's modulus are typically in Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa).

Question 4: What factors can affect Young's modulus?

Young's modulus can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of material, its chemical composition, temperature, and microstructure. The amount of stress and strain applied to the material can also impact its Young's modulus.

Question 5: How can masses be used to determine Young's modulus?

In order to determine Young's modulus using masses, a material sample is typically subjected to an applied force (such as hanging weights) and the resulting strain is measured. By analyzing the relationship between the stress (determined by the applied force) and the strain (determined by the change in length of the material), Young's modulus can be calculated for that particular material.