How Does a Moving Coil in a Loudspeaker React to a Fluctuating Voltage?

• Thread starter belfunk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coil
In summary, the conversation discussed the operation of an electromagnetically driven loudspeaker, with emphasis on the interaction between the moving coil and the stationary magnetic field. The physical mechanisms that determine the current that flows through a moving coil immersed in a magnetic field when a fluctuating voltage is applied were also mentioned. Finally, the conversation touched on the concept of a differential equation that describes the behavior of the current flowing through a stationary coil when a voltage is applied across it.
belfunk
can anyone help with me understanding the physical mechanisms that determine the current that flows through a MOVING coil immersed in a magnetic field when a fluctuating voltage is applied across the coil?

Also I need to find a Differential Equation that describes the behaviour of the current flowing through a STATIONARY coil when a voltage is applied across it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
belfunk.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, belfunk. I've moved your post to the Homework Help forums, where homework and coursework questions should be placed.

We discussed speaker cone movement a bit in this recent thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=190829

The speaker coil on the back of the cone basically looks like an inductor with loss from the energy that gets imparted to the air to make the sound. The voltage across the inductor causes a current to flow, and this current generates a magnetic field that interacts with the DC bias magnet to cause forces. Can you show us some of your work on this question? You are required to show us your work in order for us to provide you with some tutorial help.

well the 1st question of my essay was to describe the form and operation of an electromagnetically driven loudspeaker. This was my answer:

"An electro-magnetically driven loudspeaker comprises of a moving coil. The moving coil is used to convert electrical signals into acoustic energy. The coil of the loudspeaker is located in an air gap in which there is a magnetic field produced by a permanent magnet. Then an amplified audio signal is applied to the coil. This voltage causes interaction between the current in the coil and the magnetic field from the permanent magnet, causing the coil to vibrate, and this motion is transmitted to a radiating element normally in the form of a conical diaphragm."

For my own interest, not my assignment can someone tell me why the coil moves and not the permanent magnet?

The next question is to describe the physical mechanisms that determine the current that flows through a moving coil immersed in a magnetic field when a fluctuating voltage is applied across the coil.

I assume that the movement of the coil cutting through the magnetic field of the permanent magnet will determine the current... is this true? I am struggling to find anything about this on the net.

I'm still trying to understand the differential equation question. I've been given some equations, but I'm trying to get my head around them.

The stationary magnet is fixed in the loudspeaker, so the only thing that can move is the speaker cone, with the coil attached to the cone. The force that moves the coil and cone comes from the current interacting with the stationary magnetic field.

This wikipedia.org page is a pretty good introduction, with some good links for further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker

thanks for the help berkeman. much appreciated.

1. What is a moving coil in a loudspeaker?

A moving coil in a loudspeaker refers to the wire coil that is attached to the diaphragm or cone of a speaker. It is responsible for converting electrical signals into sound waves by moving back and forth in response to the changing electrical current.

2. How does a moving coil in a loudspeaker work?

The moving coil in a loudspeaker works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetism. When an electrical current is passed through the wire coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet in the speaker. This causes the coil to move, which in turn moves the diaphragm and produces sound waves.

3. What are the advantages of a moving coil in a loudspeaker?

One advantage of using a moving coil in a loudspeaker is that it allows for greater control and precision in producing sound waves. The coil can be designed to be very lightweight, which allows for faster response and better sound quality. Additionally, the use of a moving coil allows for a more efficient use of power, resulting in better overall performance of the speaker.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a moving coil in a loudspeaker?

One potential drawback of using a moving coil in a loudspeaker is that it can be more expensive and complex to manufacture compared to other speaker designs. Additionally, the coil can be prone to damage if not handled carefully, which can affect the overall performance of the speaker.

5. Can a moving coil in a loudspeaker be replaced or repaired?

Yes, a moving coil in a loudspeaker can be replaced or repaired if it becomes damaged or worn out. However, this should only be done by a trained professional, as it requires specialized knowledge and equipment. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the entire speaker rather than just the moving coil.