Why do my speakers pick up radio stations?

• Thread starter mr-tom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of receiving random radio broadcasts through poorly made Logitech speakers. This is due to the wiring inside the speaker acting as an antenna and the circuit providing demodulation, resulting in amplified audio. The conversation also mentions a similar problem with a building in Philadelphia, where a Faraday cage had to be built to block radio waves from a nearby station.
mr-tom
I get random radio broadcasts coming from my logitech speakers when they are turned on but with no volume. Why is this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Because they're poorly made. Some of the wiring inside the speaker acts as an antenna, and some part of the circuit provides the diode behavior necessary for demodulation. The resulting audio frequency energy is faithfully amplified by the power amplifier, and viola, you have a radio.

- Warren

Is this at home? Are they plugged into a computer? Do you get the radio when you unplug them from the computer?

My company helped a building in Philly with a problem where the frame of the building was receiving radio waves and everything with a microphone or speakers on certain floors would play the radio station being broadcast from next door.

We had to build what amounts to a Faraday cage around a computer next to WNBC in Washington DC ... long loooong ago.

What you see is not all that uncommon, especially if there is a powerful radio antenna nearby.

1. Why do my speakers pick up radio stations?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One possibility is that your speakers are acting as an antenna, picking up the radio waves from nearby radio stations. Another possibility is that there is interference from other electronic devices or wiring in your home. Additionally, if you have a wireless speaker system, it may be picking up signals from a nearby radio transmitter.

2. Can this be harmful to my speakers or other electronic devices?

In most cases, no. The radio waves picked up by your speakers are very weak and are not strong enough to cause damage. However, it is possible for these signals to interfere with other electronic devices, so it is best to keep your speakers away from other devices if you notice any interference.

3. How can I prevent my speakers from picking up radio stations?

If you are using wired speakers, make sure they are properly shielded to prevent them from acting as an antenna. You can also try moving your speakers away from other electronic devices or try a different location in your home. For wireless speakers, make sure they are not placed near a radio transmitter and try changing the channel or frequency on your speakers to see if that helps.

4. Why does this only happen sometimes?

The strength and availability of radio signals can vary depending on location, weather, and other factors. This can cause your speakers to pick up different radio stations at different times. Additionally, changes in your home's electronic setup or the placement of your speakers may also affect the likelihood of picking up radio signals.

5. Is there a way to intentionally use my speakers to pick up radio stations?

Yes, you can use your speakers as an antenna to deliberately pick up radio stations. However, this may require specialized equipment and knowledge of how to tune the speakers to a specific frequency. It is not recommended to do this without proper equipment and guidance, as it can potentially damage your speakers.