What Causes a Segmentation Fault in Fortran Programs?

In summary, a Fortran Segmentation fault, also known as a segfault, is an error that occurs when a program tries to access memory that it is not allowed to access. The best way to fix this error is to use a debugger to identify the source and make necessary changes. It can also be caused by external factors and can be prevented by following good coding practices and using a debugging tool. While it does not cause physical damage to a computer, it can lead to data loss or corruption if not properly handled.
pandroza
Hi, I am new in fortran.
I have this code in fortran 90, I get segmentation fault when I run my program, can you help me please, I am desperate!

SUBROUTINE COUNTX(NX,ncov)
IMPLICIT NONE
INTEGER, INTENT(IN)::ncov
INTEGER,DIMENSION(ncov),INTENT(INOUT)::NX(:)
INTEGER:: AUX,i

DO i=1,ncov
print *,NX(i)
END DO

END SUBROUTINE

PROGRAM minSC
IMPLICIT NONE
INTEGER::ncov,i
INTEGER,ALLOCATABLE::NX(:)

PRINT "(A)","Give me the value ncov "
read(*,*),ncov
allocate(NX(ncov))

DO i=1,Ncov
NX(i)=0

END DO
CALL COUNTX(NX,ncov)

END PROGRAM

Technology news on Phys.org
pandroza said:
Hi, I am new in fortran.
I have this code in fortran 90, I get segmentation fault when I run my program, can you help me please, I am desperate!

SUBROUTINE COUNTX(NX,ncov)
IMPLICIT NONE
INTEGER, INTENT(IN)::ncov
INTEGER,DIMENSION(ncov),INTENT(INOUT)::NX(:)
INTEGER:: AUX,i

DO i=1,ncov
print *,NX(i)
END DO

END SUBROUTINE

PROGRAM minSC
IMPLICIT NONE
INTEGER::ncov,i
INTEGER,ALLOCATABLE::NX(:)

read(*,*),ncov
allocate(NX(ncov))

DO i=1,Ncov
NX(i)=0

END DO
CALL COUNTX(NX,ncov)

END PROGRAM

I don't believe you should have that second comma in your read statement. IOW, I believe you should have this:
Code:
     read(*,*) ncov

There might be other things causing your segmentation fault, but my knowledge of Fortran is from F77.

I think you have compiled the code. If the problem occurs when you run executable file then it is classical memory problem. So may need to increase memory limits before running the exe-file. there are several type of commands ex:

limit stacksize unlimited
limit memoryuse unlimited
limit vmemoryuse unlimited
ulimit -s 8000000

may be more.

Just try!

Where does the segmentation fault occur exactly? Does your program print anything first, or does it happen right at the beginning?

I actually got this same error yesterday and stumbled upon this thread while trying to solve it. In my case, it turns out that I had a simple typo when I was declaring external functions. So when I ran my program, it attempted to access a function that had not been declared, which means that it was trying to call a function with a memory address of 0, which belongs to the kernel. The program isn't allowed to access this memory location, hence the error.

I can't see what it wrong here, but the way to solve these problems is isolate where the error is happening.

If you don't have a development environment with a debugger, insert STOP statements to find out where the problem is.

First try

Code:
STOP

Obviously that won't do anything useful, but it should run without crashing!

Then do
Code:
read(*,*),ncov
print *, ncov
STOP

Note, also print out ncov so you know the program has read what you expected it to read.

Then do
Code:
allocate(NX(ncov))
STOP

etc.

This might seem tedious, but it doesn't take long to do. When you know exactly which statement is causing the crash, it is a lot easier to figure out what is wrong.

just to add to previous replies seg faults are usually caused when adressing a location outside array bounds (many times you try to reach the 0 element)

also if you compile your code using the debug flag -g it will tell you where the fault occures.

1) What is a "Fortran Segmentation fault"?

A Fortran Segmentation fault, also known as a segfault, is an error that occurs when a program tries to access memory that it is not allowed to access. This can happen due to a variety of reasons, such as accessing an array out of bounds, attempting to write to read-only memory, or using an uninitialized pointer.

2) How do I fix a "Fortran Segmentation fault"?

The best way to fix a Fortran Segmentation fault is to use a debugger to find the source of the error. This will allow you to identify which line of code is causing the issue and make the necessary changes to fix it. Additionally, ensuring that your code is properly allocating and deallocating memory can help prevent segfaults.

3) Can a "Fortran Segmentation fault" be caused by external factors?

Yes, a Fortran Segmentation fault can also be caused by external factors such as hardware issues or conflicts with other programs running on the same system. It is important to rule out these possibilities before assuming the issue is with your code.

4) How can I prevent "Fortran Segmentation fault" in my code?

To prevent Fortran Segmentation faults, it is important to follow good coding practices such as properly allocating and deallocating memory, avoiding array out of bounds errors, and checking for null pointers. Additionally, using a robust debugging tool can help catch potential issues before they cause a segfault.

5) Can a "Fortran Segmentation fault" cause damage to my computer?

No, a Fortran Segmentation fault is a software error and does not cause physical damage to your computer. However, if the error is not handled properly, it can lead to data loss or corruption in your program. It is important to address and fix segfaults to ensure the proper functioning of your code.