What is the Fascination with Physics Beyond the Standard Model?

In summary, a 19-year-old studying Business Management shares their love for physics and desire to contribute to understanding the universe. They have self-taught knowledge in the subject but lack technical know-how and strong math skills. They are particularly interested in relativistic and quantum physics, including string theory and other approaches to quantum gravity. They also mention their fascination with 20th century physicists, such as Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr. The conversation also includes a warm welcome and encouragement to expand their understanding beyond popular science resources. The topic of favorite fish is also briefly mentioned.
Celeritas02
Hi.

I didn't know where were to introduce myself so I thought I'd post it in General Discussions. I'm 19 years old, studying Business Management. But early 2012, I got hooked with physics and I've been reading articles, books, listening to lectures and watching documentaries whenever I get free time. I wish I had chosen physics but I have no basic physics education, never took any physics course. But I've learned quite a few things, but I have no technical know-how. I'm not very good in Mathematics either, having taken only basic Calculus course.

I love learning about relativistic & quantum physics. I'm very much interested in physics 'beyond the standard model', mainly string theory since there are many articles about it online for general audience. I've tried to learn about other approaches to quantum gravity like the loop quantum gravity and others, but since there aren't much documentaries or books about them I don't know much about them. I love reading about 20th century physicist, mainly Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr and other pioneers of the era.

My journey to physics started when I got to know that we could describe the way world works in terms of mathematical equations. I was instantly in love with the subject and do my best to learn it more. One of my life's wish is to understand physics and contribute to our understanding of the universe.

My English isn't very good and I ask for forgiveness only because I have tried to do my best.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your English is very good, no worries there :smile:. Welcome to PF!

What's your favourite fish?

Celeritas02 said:
Hi.

I didn't know where were to introduce myself so I thought I'd post it in General Discussions. I'm 19 years old, studying Business Management. But early 2012, I got hooked with physics and I've been reading articles, books, listening to lectures and watching documentaries whenever I get free time. I wish I had chosen physics but I have no basic physics education, never took any physics course. But I've learned quite a few things, but I have no technical know-how. I'm not very good in Mathematics either, having taken only basic Calculus course.

I love learning about relativistic & quantum physics. I'm very much interested in physics 'beyond the standard model', mainly string theory since there are many articles about it online for general audience. I've tried to learn about other approaches to quantum gravity like the loop quantum gravity and others, but since there aren't much documentaries or books about them I don't know much about them. I love reading about 20th century physicist, mainly Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr and other pioneers of the era.

My journey to physics started when I got to know that we could describe the way world works in terms of mathematical equations. I was instantly in love with the subject and do my best to learn it more. One of my life's wish is to understand physics and contribute to our understanding of the universe.

My English isn't very good and I ask for forgiveness only because I have tried to do my best.

Just be aware that physics isn't just the LHC, black holes, the Higgs, nuclear bombs, etc. Physics is also your iPhone, your GPS, your MRI, your x-ray, your computer, etc., things that you commonly use everyday. They may not often produce the sexy stories that everyone is enamored with, but they make physics relevant.

Zz.

@OP: Welcome! Your command of English is good. You'll have to get beyond the pop-science resources and beef up your math skills. Good luck!

Whovian said:
What's your favourite fish?

Hint: Name the biggest fish among your favourites. :devil:

1. What is "I just joined physics forums"?

"I just joined physics forums" is a phrase commonly used by new members to introduce themselves and express their excitement about joining the Physics Forums community. It is a way for new members to connect with others and start engaging in discussions about various physics-related topics.

2. How do I join physics forums?

To join physics forums, simply go to the website and click on the "Join Physics Forums" button. You will then be prompted to create an account by providing your email address, username, and password. Once you have completed the registration process, you can start participating in the forums.

3. What can I expect from being a member of physics forums?

As a member of physics forums, you can expect to have access to a vast community of scientists, students, and enthusiasts who share a passion for physics. You can engage in discussions, ask questions, and learn from others in the field. You can also receive help with homework problems, participate in contests, and stay updated on the latest developments in the world of physics.

4. Are there any rules and guidelines for participating in physics forums?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines that all members are expected to follow when participating in physics forums. These include being respectful and courteous to others, avoiding personal attacks, and staying on topic. It is important to read and understand the forum rules before posting to ensure a positive and productive experience for everyone.

5. Can I contribute to physics forums even if I am not a scientist?

Absolutely! Physics forums welcomes contributions from anyone with an interest in physics. You do not have to be a scientist to participate in discussions or ask questions. Whether you are a student, teacher, or simply curious about the subject, you are welcome to join and contribute to the community.