Best Time to Learn Critical Thinking Skills

In summary, the conversation discusses the best time to learn logical thinking skills, with the suggestion that it may be during the toddler years. The conversation also mentions the lack of critical thinking skills being taught to children and the potential impact of early programming on a person's future. The documentary "7Up, 14Up, 21Up, 28Up" is also referenced as an example of how individuals may develop based on their early experiences and programming. Personal experiences with learning logical thinking are also shared. Overall, the consensus is that the younger the better for developing logical thinking skills.
torquerotates
Now, I'm aware that the best time to learn a new language it during your toddler years. This got me thinking. What if the best time to learn logical thinking is also during this time? I know for a fact that kids are not taught critical thinking skills. I tutored many kids and only see them do basic plug and chug problems. Sometimes I even have to make up my own problems because they are so bored. Anyways, I want to hear your opinions. When do you guys think is the best time to train the brain?

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinion - the younger the better, for the skills. Weren't Mozart and Beethoven trained as toddlers?

Does anyone else recall a BBC documentary that followed about a dozen kids from age five to middle years? Most of them turned out about the way they had been programmed by age five.

I was an "Erector Set" kid.
th?id=H.4866761568157750&w=80&h=80&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90.jpg

Don't know what the video game generations will turn out to be.

I was a religious kid

jim hardy said:
Does anyone else recall a BBC documentary that followed about a dozen kids from age five to middle years? Most of them turned out about the way they had been programmed by age five.

The documentary was called 7Up, 14Up, 21Up, 28Up. Some of the people looked the same at every age. Others were unrecognizable at each age. I couldn't make any generalization.

I learned it when I was forking with my dongle.

PhizKid said:
I was a religious kid

Me too. Not enough evidence, but at least for me my logic "came" in 9th grade, and is constantly developing via physics forums :cool:

What is critical thinking?

Critical thinking is the process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and evaluating information to guide beliefs and actions.

Why is it important to learn critical thinking skills?

Critical thinking skills are essential for making well-informed decisions, solving complex problems, and avoiding cognitive biases. They also help individuals become more independent and self-directed learners.

What is the best age to learn critical thinking skills?

Critical thinking skills can be developed at any age, but it is believed that the earlier a person begins to develop critical thinking skills, the more effective they will be in using them throughout their life.

How can critical thinking skills be learned?

Critical thinking skills can be learned through various methods such as practice, analyzing and evaluating information, seeking different perspectives, and engaging in critical thinking activities and exercises.

What is the best time to learn critical thinking skills?

The best time to learn critical thinking skills is during childhood and adolescence when the brain is still developing and is more receptive to new ways of thinking. However, it is never too late to start developing critical thinking skills and they can be improved at any age.