Do you think that Grassmann used to smoke grass?

In summary, the conversation is about a joke involving a physicist and a mathematician trying to optimize a park for a peasant's sheep. The physicist suggests a circular fence while the mathematician uses himself as a reference point. Another joke is mentioned about checking the optical doppler effect using a car's headlights at night.
Physics news on Phys.org
Mandelbroth said:
...Oh. I was hoping for a good joke. :rolleyes:

It made me smile, and that's what count anyways.

this not a really good one neither : a physicist and a mathematician have to solve a problem for a peasant. He wants to make a park for his sheeps as optimized as possible.
The physicist comes and make a circle fence saying this is the biggest area for this length of fence. The mathematician take 3 sticks and put them around him and then says : i define the exterior as the place where i am so the sheeps are inside the fence.

jk22 said:
this not a really good one neither : a physicist and a mathematician have to solve a problem for a peasant. He wants to make a park for his sheep as optimized as possible.
The physicist comes and make a circle fence saying this is the biggest area for this length of fence. The mathematician take 3 sticks and put them around him and then says : i define the exterior as the place where i am so the sheep are inside the fence.
What's wrong with doing that? Seems reasonable to me. :tongue:

I read that one on the net : how you can check the optical doppler effect : go to the street by night you see that when the car is approaching the light is white, and when going away it's red.

1. Did Grassmann actually smoke grass?

There is no evidence to suggest that Grassmann, a renowned 19th century mathematician, smoked marijuana. While it is possible that he may have used other substances, there is no historical record or personal account to support the claim that he smoked grass.

2. Why is there a rumor that Grassmann smoked grass?

The rumor likely stems from the fact that Grassmann's last name is similar to the word "grass," which is a common slang term for marijuana. However, this is purely coincidental and there is no basis for the assumption that he was a marijuana user.

3. How would smoking grass affect Grassmann's work?

Again, there is no evidence to suggest that Grassmann actually smoked grass. However, even if he did, it is unlikely that it would have had any impact on his work as a mathematician. Many successful and brilliant individuals have used recreational substances without it affecting their professional abilities.

4. Are there any references to Grassmann's drug use in his writings or correspondence?

No, there are no references to Grassmann's drug use in his writings or correspondence. As a scientist, he focused primarily on his work and there is no indication that he used drugs or that it had any influence on his thoughts or ideas.

5. Does the rumor of Grassmann smoking grass diminish his contributions to mathematics?

No, the rumor of Grassmann smoking grass has no impact on his contributions to mathematics. His theories and discoveries stand on their own merit and are not affected by baseless rumors or assumptions about his personal life. It is important to evaluate and appreciate his work based on its own merits and not on unfounded rumors or speculation.