US Iran report branded dishonest

• News
  • Thread starter Anttech
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the UN nuclear watchdog has protested to the US government over a report on Iran's nuclear programme, calling it "erroneous" and "misleading". The IAEA has said that a congressional report contains serious distortions of the agency's own findings on Iran's nuclear activity. The letter took "strong exception to the incorrect and misleading assertion" that the IAEA removed senior safeguards inspector Chris Charlier for "allegedly raising concerns about Iranian deception" over its programme. He remains head of a section investigating Iran, the IAEA says.
Anttech
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5346524.stm

The UN nuclear watchdog has protested to the US government over a report on Iran's nuclear programme, calling it "erroneous" and "misleading".

In a leaked letter, the IAEA said a congressional report contained serious distortions of the agency's own findings on Iran's nuclear activity.
<snip>

The letter took "strong exception to the incorrect and misleading assertion" that the IAEA removed senior safeguards inspector Chris Charlier for "allegedly raising concerns about Iranian deception" over its programme.

It said Mr Charlier had been removed at the request of Tehran, which has the right to make such an objection under agreed rules between the agency and all states.

He remains head of a section investigating Iran, the IAEA says.

The letter went on to brand "outrageous and dishonest" a suggestion in the report that he was removed for not adhering "to an unstated IAEA policy barring IAEA officials from telling the whole truth" about Iran.

Here we go again :frown: the neocons seem to be setting the stage for "Spread Democracy in the ME, stage 2" Perhaps they should fix the mess in Iraq first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anttech said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5346524.stm

Here we go again :frown: the neocons seem to be setting the stage for "Spread Democracy in the ME, stage 2" Perhaps they should fix the mess in Iraq first.

I just got back an hour and a half ago from talk given by Frank Pabian, former IAEA chief inspector in Iraq from 1996-1998.

From the satellite imagery of the faciilities, the records from the IAEA's own reports of Iran's deceit regarding the facilities, one of which was razed to the ground and paved over with an asphalt soccer field for 'public use' after being revealed by the NCRI (Iranian dissident group), it was clear that Iran is not being honest, and not complying with the NPT (blatantly).

The general procedure for each site the IAEA has tried to inspect has been this:

1) NCRI announces existence of site.
2) IAEA gets commercial satellite photos of sit.
3) Inspectors go to site.
4) Inspectors are told outlandish lies about purpose of site. One enrichment facility run by a front company (Kalaye Electric) claimed to be a watch factory. Some time later when inspectors returned, the site had been completely cleared, repainted, and retiled. The found traces of enriched uranium all over the place.

In another case involving a 'laser research center' doing just 'laser research', the inspectors find a large array of lasers all aligned at a central point, where something had clearly been 'hastily removed'. When pressured the Iranians claim 'nothing' had been there. Then it was a faulty piece of equipment that had been sent back to the manufacturers. Then it was a faulty piece of equipment in a crate, still on site waiting to be sent back the manufacturers, but that had been never used. When inspected it was a chamber with--you gueesed it--traces of enriched uranium.
5) Go back to step 1.

The Iranians have been getting better at clearing the sites--one was completely demolished, the Earth was scraped, all vegetation removed, the whole site paved over with an asphalt soccer field, basketball courts with no hoops (even two years later) all for 'public use'. Site still behind a guard fence, with armed guards.

Iran has been building almost exactly the same facilities in the same sequence as what was used by Pakistan to produce their nuclear weapons.

Pabian made it clear that there was no doubt in his mind what Iran was doing, and that the deceit is not motivated by a desire to protect the nuclear weapons program, as much as to keep the economic benefits of the NPT without the restrictions. The key basis for the conclusion was not so much the facilities themselves, which he clearly stated could just as easily be used for a peaceful program, but the pattern of extreme and ridiculous deceit and concealment. Why have front companies? Why claim that the enrichment facility is a watch factory? Why, boast about imprisoning 'nuclear spies' after every time the NCRI (dissdent group) reveals another one of your facilities, if its just a peaceful power program? Spies are something you worry about with a weapons program. Ahmadinejad announced the successful progress of work on P-2 centrifuges shortly inspectors had been told that Iran was not in any way interested in P-2 centrifuges.

The main reason I post this is that the article you linked, which I had seen makes it seem that the IAEA doesn't think Iran is building weapons, which is not the case.

Of course, none of this excuses the report from that congressman, but this situation is not Iraq.

Here is a link to the congress committee report. The cover page sends me a strong message.

http://intelligence.house.gov/Media/PDFS/IranReport082206v2.pdf#search=%22%20U.S.%20House%20committee%20report%20on%20Iran's%20nuclear%20%22

You may have to cut and paste the url to get it to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
The main reason I post this is that the article you linked, which I had seen makes it seem that the IAEA doesn't think Iran is building weapons, which is not the case.

Of course, none of this excuses the report from that congressman, but this situation is not Iraq.
That wasnt my intention, it was to show that the "sexing up" of facts has started

franznietzsche said:
In another case involving a 'laser research center' doing just 'laser research', the inspectors find a large array of lasers all aligned at a central point, where something had clearly been 'hastily removed'.
His name was Bond... James Bond!

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/409/goldfingerbondandlaserxo6.jpg

There's been so much "Cry Wolf" over the past years, every report looks like bollocks - you never know what to believe until it's too late to take decisions back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anttech said:
That wasnt my intention, it was to show that the "sexing up" of facts has started

I certainly agree that the report (the congressman's) is at the very best, sleazy. Of course, its semi-important to note that it was NOT vetted by the whole comittee, and apparently not intended to be leaked to the press. But even that they would use such a misleading report internally is disturbing.

Disturbing, yeah, but it is standard practice with the people we elect. Remember http://uruknet.info/uruknet-images/powell_anthrax.jpg?

kyleb said:
Disturbing, yeah, but it is standard practice with the people we elect. Remember http://uruknet.info/uruknet-images/powell_anthrax.jpg?

It's a fake.

It's a picture of Powel back when was sent to the UN with a previous report full of lies.

1. What is the "US Iran report" being referenced in this article?

The "US Iran report" refers to a report released by the United States government regarding the status of Iran's nuclear program.

2. Why is the report being branded as dishonest?

The report is being branded as dishonest because it has been found to contain false or misleading information.

3. Who is branding the report as dishonest?

The report is being branded as dishonest by various critics and experts in the field, including government officials, politicians, and journalists.

4. What evidence supports the claim that the report is dishonest?

The evidence supporting the claim includes discrepancies between the report's findings and information from other sources, as well as the omission of important details and context.

5. What impact could the report's dishonesty have?

The report's dishonesty could have serious consequences, including damaging diplomatic relations, affecting foreign policy decisions, and hindering efforts to address the issue of Iran's nuclear program.