Elevator Torque and Angular Momentum

In summary, the problem involves accelerating an elevator upward using a counterweight and a pulley system. The pulley has a mass of 875kg and a diameter of 1.50 m, with no appreciable friction. To accelerate the elevator through 6.75 m in 3.00 s, the total torque must be 492.2 N*m. However, the calculated tensions and mass of the counterweight are incorrect according to the book's solutions. The correct values are 3.16*10^4 N for the mass of the counterweight, 2.60*10^4 N for Tension 1, and 2.67*10^4 N for Tension 2.
usnberry

Homework Statement

A 22,500N elevator is to be accelerated upward by connecting to it a counterweight using a light cable passing over a solid uniform disk-shaped pulley. There is no appreciable friction at the axle of the pulley, but its mass is 875kg and it is 1.50 m in diameter. (a) How heavy should the counterweight be so that it will accelerate the elevator upward through 6.75 m in the first 3.00 s, starting from rest? (b) Under these conditions, what is the tension in the cable on each side of the pulley?

Homework Equations

I=1/2*875*.75[tex]^{2}[/tex]=246.1 kg*m[tex]^{2}[/tex]
a=(2*6.75)/(3[tex]^{2}[/tex])=1.5m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex] from x=(x[tex]_{i}[/tex])+(.5)(a)(t[tex]^{2}[/tex])
[tex]alpha[/tex] = a/r = 2 rad/s^2 from a = R * [tex]alpha[/tex]
[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]=I*a

The Attempt at a Solution

So I get from this is that for the elevator to rise the 6.75 feet in 3.00 seconds the total torque must be 492.2 N*m.

T[tex]_{1}[/tex]=m[tex]_{elev}[/tex]*g-m[tex]_{elev}[/tex]*a
T[tex]_{2}[/tex]=m[tex]_{counter}[/tex]*g+m[tex]_{counter}[/tex]*a

From this I get T[tex]_{1}[/tex] = 19056 N

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex] = T[tex]_{1}[/tex]*r-T[tex]_{2}[/tex]*r

So...

T[tex]_{2}[/tex] = 18400 N

So should be...
m[tex]_{counter}[/tex] = 1628 kg * 9.8 = 1.6*10^4 N

Unfortunately, according to the book I am wrong on all three counts, the tensions and the mass. The answers are supposed to be 3.16*10^4 N mass counter, 2.60 * 10^4N Tension 1 and 2.67 * 10^4N for Tension 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The directions for your forces are wrong I think... the elevator is accelerating upward, so what's the sum of the forces in the vertical direction for the elevator?

Remember that a is upward for the elevator.

I would say that your calculations and reasoning seem to be mostly correct. However, it is possible that the book's answers are taking into account some other factors that were not mentioned in the problem statement. For example, the book's answers may be taking into account the weight of the cable itself, or the weight of the pulley, which could affect the tension in the cable and the required mass of the counterweight.

Additionally, the book's answers may be using slightly different values for the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 instead of 9.81 m/s^2) or the mass of the elevator (22,500 N instead of 22,500 kg). These small differences could result in slightly different values for the tension and mass.

In any case, it would be a good idea to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for all the variables. If you are still unable to arrive at the book's answers, you could also try reaching out to the author or your professor for clarification.

What is meant by "elevator torque"?

Elevator torque refers to the force that is produced by a motor in order to rotate an elevator car around its axis. This force is necessary to lift and lower the elevator car between floors.

How is elevator torque calculated?

Elevator torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. In other words, it is equal to the force applied multiplied by the lever arm, or the distance from the center of the elevator motor to the center of the elevator car.

What factors affect elevator torque?

The main factors that affect elevator torque include the weight of the elevator car and its contents, the speed at which the elevator is moving, and any friction or resistance in the elevator system. Additionally, the design and efficiency of the elevator motor can also impact the torque required.

What is meant by "angular momentum" in relation to elevators?

Angular momentum refers to the measure of a rotating object's tendency to continue rotating. In the case of elevators, this refers to the rotation of the elevator car around its axis as it moves up and down between floors.

How does angular momentum affect elevator movement?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in the movement of elevators. The elevator motor must produce enough torque to overcome the angular momentum of the elevator car and its contents in order to lift and lower it between floors. This is why elevators are designed to have a specific weight capacity and maximum speed to ensure safe and efficient movement.