Paul Krugman Explains True Conservatism: Same Old Party

• News
  • Thread starter kach22i
  • Start date
In summary: The author tries to paint Bush as some kind of extremist when nothing could be further from the truth.
kach22i
From the New York Times

October 8, 2007
Same Old Party
By PAUL KRUGMAN

There have been a number of articles recently that portray President Bush as someone who strayed from the path of true conservatism. Republicans, these articles say, need to return to their roots.

Well, I don’t know what true conservatism is, but while doing research for my forthcoming book I spent a lot of time studying the history of the American political movement that calls itself conservatism — and Mr. Bush hasn’t strayed from the path at all. On the contrary, he’s the very model of a modern movement conservative.

For example, people claim to be shocked that Mr. Bush cut taxes while waging an expensive war. But Ronald Reagan also cut taxes while embarking on a huge military buildup.

People claim to be shocked by Mr. Bush’s general fiscal irresponsibility. But conservative intellectuals, by their own account, abandoned fiscal responsibility 30 years ago. Here’s how Irving Kristol, then the editor of The Public Interest, explained his embrace of supply-side economics in the 1970s: He had a “rather cavalier attitude toward the budget deficit and other monetary or fiscal problems” because “the task, as I saw it, was to create a new majority, which evidently would mean a conservative majority, which came to mean, in turn, a Republican majority — so political effectiveness was the priority, not the accounting deficiencies of government.”

People claim to be shocked by the way the Bush administration outsourced key government functions to private contractors yet refused to exert effective oversight over these contractors, a process exemplified by the failed reconstruction of Iraq and the Blackwater affair.

continued - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/opinion/08krugman.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bush hasn't strayed from conservative principles because he acts the same as other people who have strayed from conservative principles. That's not much of an argument.

kach22i

Form the link:

People claim to be shocked by Mr. Bush’s general fiscal irresponsibility. But conservative intellectuals, by their own account, abandoned fiscal responsibility 30 years ago. Here’s how Irving Kristol, then the editor of The Public Interest, explained his embrace of supply-side economics in the 1970s: He had a “rather cavalier attitude toward the budget deficit and other monetary or fiscal problems” because “the task, as I saw it, was to create a new majority, which evidently would mean a conservative majority, which came to mean, in turn, a Republican majority — so political effectiveness was the priority, not the accounting deficiencies of government.”

Up until the current Bush administration all I ever heard from republicans was "fiscal responsibility". It was their mantra. Deficit spending was absolutely abhorred by republicans.

As far as the statement of Irving Kristol and it's interpretation, it appears that the only thing that republicans really care about is that there is a republican majority. That old sack of fish is starting to smell.

This new "deficit spending is great" attitude looks more like a means of covering up for Bush's terrible spending policies in order to try to regain the coveted majority status.

edward said:
Up until the current Bush administration all I ever heard from republicans was "fiscal responsibility". It was their mantra. Deficit spending was absolutely abhorred by republicans.

What republicans say and what they do has a way of being completely contradictory, and not by accident.

The republicans want to dismantle government by being really really bad at it. The phrase; "your'e doing a great job, Brownie" comes to mind.

Reagan spent like crazy in a peace time military build up while cutting taxes (for the rich) and increasing the national debt like crazy.....the role model for republican conduct today.

I'm with jimmy here. The article is littered with strawmen.

1. Who is Paul Krugman?

Paul Krugman is an American economist, author, and professor at the City University of New York. He is known for his work in international economics and trade theory, and has won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.

2. What is "True Conservatism"?

"True Conservatism" refers to a political ideology that emphasizes limited government, individual freedom, and traditional values. It is often associated with the Republican Party in the United States.

3. What does Paul Krugman mean by "Same Old Party"?

In this context, "Same Old Party" refers to the Republican Party and its history of promoting conservative policies. Krugman argues that the party has not changed significantly in its beliefs and values over the years.

4. What is the main argument in "Paul Krugman Explains True Conservatism: Same Old Party"?

The main argument in this piece is that the Republican Party's claim to be the party of "true conservatism" is not supported by their actions and policies. Krugman argues that the party has shifted towards more extreme and divisive views, rather than upholding traditional conservative values.

5. What evidence does Paul Krugman use to support his argument?

Krugman uses examples such as the Republican Party's support for tax cuts for the wealthy and their denial of climate change as evidence of their departure from traditional conservative principles. He also points out the party's use of divisive rhetoric and tactics, such as voter suppression, as further evidence of their shift away from true conservatism.