Final Velocity of Second Ball After Collision

• Thread starter dmitrip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves a glancing collision between a steel ball and a second ball of different mass. The initial velocities and masses are given, along with the final velocity of the first ball. To solve for the final velocity of the second ball, the conservation of momentum and the Pythagorean theorem are used. By separating the velocities into east-west and north-south components and considering conservation of energy, the final velocity of the second ball can be determined to be 1.7 m/s [E 47 S].
dmitrip

Homework Statement

A steel ball of mass 0.50 kg, moving with a velocity of 2.0 m/s [E], strikes a second ball of mass 0.30 kg, initially at rest.The collision is a glancing one, causing the moving ball to have a velocity of 1.5 m/s [E 30 N] after the collision. Determine the velocity of the second ball after the collision.

Homework Equations

Momentum = final momentum
m1v1 +m2v2 = m1v1 +m2v2
(c)^2 = (a)^2 + (b)^2 - 2(a)(b)cos C

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 = 0.50 kg
v1 = 2.0 m/s[E]
m2 = 0.30 kg
v2 = 0 m/s
v1 (final) = 1.5 m/s [E 30 N]
v2 (final) = ?

Ptotal = Ptotal (final)
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1 + m2v2
(0.50)(2.0[E]) = (0.50)(1.5[E 30 N]) + (0.30) (v2(final))
1.0 [E] = 0.75[E 30 N] + 0.30(v2)

Diagram i drew

http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=diagramhe8.png

(c)^2 = (a)^2 + (b)^2 - 2(a)(b)cos C
((0.30)(V2))^2 = 0.75^2 + 1^2 -2(0.75)(1) cos 30
0.09V2^2 = 2.5625 - 0.866025403
V2 = square root(7.738606633)
i used sign law to find out the equation
V2(final) = 2.78[E 10.4 S]

After doing all this work i went to the back of the book and the answer was 1.7 m/s[E 47 S] i hate when this happens:(
if somebody can help me out i will really appreciate it

thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Separate it into N-S (y) and E-W (x) components. The net momentum in the y direction = 0, since initially there is no momentum in the y or transverse direction.

Also consider conservation of energy.

can somebody please show me how extacly i can solve this problem using components, i don't know where to start:frown:

FAQ: Final Velocity of Second Ball After Collision

1. What is 2-D momentum?

2-D momentum is a measurement of an object's motion in two dimensions, taking into account both its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is 2-D momentum calculated?

2-D momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity in both the x and y directions. The equation is p = m * (vx + vy), where p is momentum, m is mass, and vx and vy are the velocities in the x and y directions, respectively.

3. What are the units of 2-D momentum?

The units of 2-D momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s) in the SI system. In the imperial system, it is typically expressed as pound-feet per second (lb*ft/s).

4. How is 2-D momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a closed system, the initial momentum will be equal to the final momentum, even if there are collisions or other interactions between objects.

5. What are some real-life examples of 2-D momentum?

Some examples of 2-D momentum in real life include a billiard ball bouncing off the sides of a pool table, a car turning a corner, or a basketball being passed between players on a court. Any situation where an object is moving in two dimensions and has both mass and velocity will involve 2-D momentum.