Sequental elastic and inelastic collisions

In summary, the taxi car weighs 2000 kg and the mini-van weighs 2200 kg. The taxi stops and the mini-van rolls and hits a stationary sports car with a mass of 1830 kg. Their bumbers hit and they move together at 2.3 m/s. The taxi's velocity before the collision is 4629.9 m/s.
Jay Sachar

Homework Statement

A taxi car weighing 2000kg hits a stationary mini-van that has a mass of 2200kg. The taxi stops and the mini-van rolls and hits a stationary sports car with a mass of 1830kg. Their bumbers hit and they move together at 2.3m/s. What is the velocity of the taxi before the collision?

Part one of the problem would be an elastic collision as they don't stay together, so use the formula m1v1+m2v2=m1v3+m2v4
M1=2000
V1=?
M2=2200
V2=0ms
V3=0m/s
V4=?
Part 2 of the problem would be inelastic so use the formula m1v1+m2v2=v3(m1m2)
M1= 2200
V1=?
M2=1830kg
V2=0m/s
V3=2.3m/s

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=v3(m1m2)
m1v1+m2v2=m1v3+m2v4

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to find the v4 for the first part of the problem using the equation m1v1+m2v2=v3(m1m2) isolating for v1 as that would be equal to v4 in the first part. (2200×v1)+(1830×0)=2.3(2200×1830) and after isolating for v1 i got 4209m/s. I then punched this in for v4 in the first part of the problem so it was (2000×v1)+(2200×0)=(2000×0) +(4209×2200) and after isolating for v1 i got 4629.9m/s which just seems too high. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
After collision 2, you have correctly pointed out that momentunm is conserved according to that equation.

Consider this: since initial velocity of the taxi is 0, that would mean that all momentum after the second collision initially belonged to the moving van.

Do you need more hints?

Alloymouse said:
After collision 2, you have correctly pointed out that momentunm is conserved according to that equation.

Consider this: since initial velocity of the taxi is 0, that would mean that all momentum after the second collision initially belonged to the moving van.

Do you need more hints?
Uh yeah maybe another hint would be appreciated. Still fairly confused about it.

Jay Sachar said:
Uh yeah maybe another hint would be appreciated. Still fairly confused about it.

For starters, do you understand what I'm trying to say when "all the momentum belongs to the van" before collision 2? It's using the principle of conservation of linear momentum.

Here's another hint:

If you can calculate the total momentum involved in collision 2 (total momentum of objects after collision), you now know how much momentum the van had before colliding with the stationary taxi.

From this, you can find the speed of van after collision 1 happened.

Jay Sachar said:
Part one of the problem would be an elastic collision as they don't stay together
No, an elastic collision is one in which KE is conserved, which is not the case here.
In fact, the problem is a bit strange... KE appears to increase! (Are you sure you have the details right?)
Jay Sachar said:
Part 2 of the problem would be inelastic so use the formula m1v1+m2v2=v3(m1m2)
I assume you are thinking of v3(m1+m2). What you have written makes no sense dimensionally.
At first I thought this was just a typo, but I see you really did multiply the two masses and got a crazy speed as a result.
You would have spotted the error if you had kept track of units. Your result should read 4630 kg m/s.

Also, the reason this (corrected) equation applies is not merely that it is inelastic but that it is a coalescence. As collisions go, that is as inelastic as possible.

1. What is a sequential elastic collision?

A sequential elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In this type of collision, the objects rebound off of each other without any loss of energy.

2. How is a sequential elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. Some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This results in a decrease in the total kinetic energy after the collision. In contrast, a sequential elastic collision involves no loss of kinetic energy.

3. What types of objects can experience sequential elastic and inelastic collisions?

Any objects that are able to move and have mass can experience these types of collisions. This includes both macroscopic objects, such as cars or billiard balls, and microscopic objects, such as atoms and molecules.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of a sequential elastic and inelastic collision?

The mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision are important factors that can affect the outcome. The angle and direction of the collision can also play a role. Additionally, external forces, such as friction or air resistance, can also impact the collision.

5. How are sequential elastic and inelastic collisions used in real-world applications?

These types of collisions are commonly observed in sports, such as billiards or pool, where the balls collide with each other. They are also important in understanding the behavior of particles in fields such as physics and engineering. Additionally, they can be used to model and analyze the dynamics of systems, such as collisions between molecules in a chemical reaction.