What type of shoes are best for a casual and comfortable weekend look?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary: I've seen some women going without any kind of sock or liner, but I can't bring myself to do that. My feet sweat way too much to not wear socks.In summary, the conversation revolved around various members discussing their preferred types of shoes based on comfort and practicality. They mentioned brands such as New Balance, Adidas, Puma, and Dunham. Some members also shared their dislike for enclosed dress shoes and the struggle of finding comfortable work shoes. There was no mention of following trends or fashion, with the general consensus being to wear what one likes and feels comfortable in. Some members even shared specific shoe recommendations for different occasions.
_Mayday_
Hey All,

I wouldn't all myself uber trendy, and I don't really take much note of changing fashions but I have always had a bit of trouble with shoes. I just have no idea what type of shoes ar 'in' or what to actually look for. I'd like something quite casual and comfortable. On the weekends I ill wear something like a nice fitting polo shirt, with a pair of nice jeans, and I think that what I've been doing works well, even when I have talked to other people about these things they seem to agree.

At the moment I wear a pair of old brown skateboarding shoes, they aren't big and puffy, so I quite like them. I would just be interested to know what type of shoes you all wear, or what you think looks nice? I'm off to town in a few days and that is when I will part with the 50 odd pounds a pair of shoes will cost, so any advice would be great. If nothing come of this then let it just be a "What shoes do you wear thread"

1396-268871-t.jpg

^ That's pretty close to the ones I have now. I like these kind of shoes, not like ultra puffy skateboarding ones though. Hey, maybe I need to change them, if so a bit of help would be great.

Cheers.

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
When it's hot out, I wear lightweight synthetic running shoes to keep my feet comfortable. If it's cooler, I'll often wear a pair of leather walking shoes or a pair of leather court shoes. My wife works for New Balance, and she gets a 40% discount on the already-discounted shoes in the factory store, so I can afford to wear high-quality athletic shoes that normally retail for $100+. My NB walking shoes were designed for USPS letter carriers and they are 'way comfortable, though not as stylish as the shoe in your post.

Not one bit of fashion advice, _Mayday_, just practicality. I tend to try on a lot of shoes because depending on the design, they may or may not bend easily the same way your feet flex. NB shoes are used by a lot of marathoners, and I have generally found their running shoes to be light-weight, tough, and comfortable. They are not as widely distributed as Nike, Adidas, etc, but they are really good.

I wear so called lifestyle motorsports trainers, which are basically trainer versions of pro driving boots. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. I first got Adi-racer adidas trainers and now have Puma Drift cats.

Adi-Racer
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/55/b/AAAAAjlr5C0AAAAAAFW4Qw.jpg

Drift Cats
6627-399539-d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear COMFORTABLE shoes. I have a few pairs right now that look something like a cross between a sneaker and a mary jane. I thought they were kind of ugly, but I get compliments on them when I wear them to work (of course I work with scientists, so maybe that doesn't mean much :uhh:), so go figure. When I bought them, I bought them only to wear to work since I spend SO much time on my feet and even my most comfortable "nice" shoes were not staying comfortable after several hours standing. I have more than one pair simply because once I found a general style that was super comfortable and put an end to aching feet, ankles and back, I hunted down more pairs in different colors of pretty much the same shoe so as I wear them out, I'll have replacements.

I have some nicer shoes for weekend wear, and dancing shoes for fancy wear (more comfortable than regular high heels...more support and padding). Being summer time, any time I'm home, I'm barefoot.

(I don't figure you're interested in buying women's shoes anyway.)

I wear laceless shoes
They are wonderfully comfortable
You're not going to use the laces anyways, so might as well get a shoe designed for that. Some of them don't even look too bad either.

Can you post some pictures? I'm just looking for shoes to wear to parties and stuff. I play a lot of sport so trainers are my first shoe really. I wear a lot of fitted jeans if that helps.

Men's Medium Trekker Strap Sandals

http://s7.landsend.com/is/image/LandsEnd/277884_AG08_LF_KHA

http://www.landsend.com/pp/TrekkerStrapSandals~180995_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::KHA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009__0000000918&origin=index

I don't remember paying that much though.

Astronuc said:
It so hot in here, but we are not allowed open toes shoes in the experimental hall. Otherwise, I agree with Moonbear that my first criterium is confort above anything else.

Q: Given two physicists talking to each other, how to determine which one is the most extroverted ?
A: The one looking at the other one's shoes.

Astronuc said:

http://s7.landsend.com/is/image/LandsEnd/277884_AG08_LF_KHA

http://www.landsend.com/pp/TrekkerStrapSandals~180995_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::KHA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00009__0000000918&origin=index

I don't remember paying that much though.
My sandals are Dunham (subsidiary of New Balance) 4200s. Soft brown leather 3-strap sandals with velcro adjustments and lug soles for hiking on moderate terrain. They are no longer in production, so I've got to make them last. :mad:

I half to wear enclosed dress shoes to work, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. This past spring we got a memo saying nylons are no longer required in summer months. But bare feet in enclosed dress shoes is just feels wrong.
I have no idea about mens shoe fashions, but go with what you like, not what's in style.

I wear my posh green wellies, they are very comfortable and warm in the winter cool in the summer.

hypatia said:
I half to wear enclosed dress shoes to work, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. This past spring we got a memo saying nylons are no longer required in summer months. But bare feet in enclosed dress shoes is just feels wrong.
I have no idea about mens shoe fashions, but go with what you like, not what's in style.

I found some little shoe liner type socks. They're perfect for summer when you need a little bit of sock to avoid sticky feet but otherwise want bare legs, and regular socks don't look right. You also might want to look into dancing shoes. They're more comfortable than regular dress shoes. The only thing is if you're going to wear them as every day shoes, you will likely end up needing to get them resoled, because they have suede soles for dancing that wear out if worn outside. They're VERY expensive, but if you can't buy comfy, more casual shoes, it might be worth it.

hypatia said:

I know what you mean - we have to wear steel-toed boots. Not a lot of attractive options for women in that department!

Not that it matters much...I'm not a fashionista. I buy shoes I like and wear them until they're threadbare.

humanino said:
It so hot in here, but we are not allowed open toes shoes in the experimental hall. Otherwise, I agree with Moonbear that my first criterium is confort above anything else.

Q: Given two physicists talking to each other, how to determine which one is the most extroverted ?
A: The one looking at the other one's shoes.

Buzzzzzzzzzz WRONG. The most extroverted one is the one looking at the other guys face. The other guy is the one looking at the shoes.

Cyrus said:
Buzzzzzzzzzz WRONG. The most extroverted one is the one looking at the other guys face. The other guy is the one looking at the shoes.

*reaches over and adjusts Cyrus' humor meter*

I wear these Clarks sandals almost all summer, and also during some of the spring and fall.

http://canada.zappos.com/images/719/7193218/827-17756-p.jpg

One or two physicians on the local newspaper are not extroverted. Skills viewpoints also limited
He wears black sandals almost every day, I am sure he never wears a tie in serious meeting

Last edited:
I usually wear running shoes of some kind that are nice and comfy as I am on my feet most of the day running around the hospital for school or work. I would love to wear sandals but I am not allowed...I have an amazing pair of dressy brown leather italian made sandals but i can't wear them most of the time because I am stuck with closed toe and heel shoes...booo.

Thanks Moonbear, I will look into the dancing shoes.

I have to wear black polishable shoes of some sort for work. Not that it bothers me since I like boots anyway. I was buying Sketchers for a while since they are cheaper but they fall apart more quickly and their cuts and designs are bulky and ugly. I found a pair of Dr. Martins on sale for a good price and bought those. So far they have lasted me quite well (I do a lot of walking at work). And Doc Martins are fairly fashionable though I have no idea how well they go with polo shirts. :-/

For a lighter shoe when I'm not working I bought these...
http://www.shoe-shop.com/content/ebiz/shoeshop/invt/sch190026/sch190026_BlackandWhite_m.jpg
Chucks may not last long if you do a lot of walking in them but they tend to be fairly cheap. I find them comfortable and I personally think these one are pretty cool.

Edit: by the way in case you aren't familiar with Converse they come in a variety of looks from plain to a crossword pattern, not just pinstripe.

lisab said:
I know what you mean - we have to wear steel-toed boots. Not a lot of attractive options for women in that department!

Not that it matters much...I'm not a fashionista. I buy shoes I like and wear them until they're threadbare.

I suppose it depends on whose opinion of attractiveness matters. Most of my exs wore boots. I find them more attractive than most womens shoes.

I have a pair of $40.00 chucks:

31515FHQR4L._AA280_.jpg

But I made them unique by changing the shoe laces to bright red that match the red line, instead of the normal white laces.

I also have a pair of white steve maddens:

resize?sq=160&uid=706052151&mid=30047.gif

Those are pretty much the only two shoes I wear during the summer.

Cyrus said:
I have a pair of $40.00 chucks

Ouch. I think I bought mine for about $20. I usually go to the dicount shoe stores. And the new Kohl's they put in always seems to have good sales with quality merchandise. I find better prices for my shoes there than the discount store sometimes. Along with a better size range (since I have big feet).

And I sound like a commercial again. :-/

TheStatutoryApe said:
Ouch. I think I bought mine for about $20. I usually go to the dicount shoe stores. And the new Kohl's they put in always seems to have good sales with quality merchandise. I find better prices for my shoes there than the discount store sometimes. Along with a better size range (since I have big feet).

And I sound like a commercial again. :-/

Every store I went to had them for about $35-40. $20 sounds like a steal though. Were the exactly the same pair?

Cyrus said:
Every store I went to had them for about $35-40. $20 sounds like a steal though. Were the exactly the same pair?

Not the same as yours no. The pinstripe ones I mention above. Maybe yours are a different more expensive design?

Edit: and I exagerated. They were probably about $25. Still a good price though.

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Not the same as yours no. The pinstripe ones I mention above. Maybe yours are a different more expensive design?

No, there just the normal white ones you get. They have fancy ones on their website for $90.00, but chucks ant worth $90.00.

I've never seen the ones I have cheaper (or more expensive) than $40.00.

Whats interesting is that if you thumb through a GQ magazine, they have shoes that are basically ripped-off chucks that just have different colors running upwards of $200.00. I mean, identical except for the colors used. An order of magnitude off in price for something made in bangladesh by 12 year olds to make a company 1000% profit margins.

Cyrus said:
I have a pair of $40.00 chucks:

But I made them unique by changing the shoe laces to bright red that match the red line, instead of the normal white laces.

I also have a pair of white steve maddens:

Those are pretty much the only two shoes I wear during the summer.

Hey Cyrus, do those look quite nice with jeans? Yeah I might try something like the first shoe, they look quite comfy.

_Mayday_ said:
Hey Cyrus, do those look quite nice with jeans? Yeah I might try something like the first shoe, they look quite comfy.

Sure, if you're going for the whole slim jean, indie boy look. Personally, I don't like converse, but I know a few people who love them.

They're awfully cheap and fall to bits in minutes and not all that comfortable really. Try the race bred trainers, they're so comfortable its unbelievable and th quality is excellent. I've literally worn my adidas ones every day for 3 years and they're still going.

hypatia said:
Thanks Moonbear, I will look into the dancing shoes.

If you just want low or no heel and closed toes, look into the "practice" shoes. They're usually less expensive than the ones for performing. Of course there are other styles with closed toes, and most are sold with a choice of heel heights. If you see sites where they tell you to order a half size smaller than your regular shoe size, ignore it for a closed toe shoe. For the open toe shoes, the reason they say that is dance shoes are supposed to be worn a bit differently than regular shoes...with your toe right to the very end of the shoe, but if you're wearing them as a regular shoe, you really don't want to do that. The thing I really like about the ones I got are that they have padded, suede insoles too, not like usual dress shoes that are leather and not much padding. It's a lot easier on my feet to have a little padding in the insole, and much more comfortable for my toes not to keep sliding forward in shoes with leather insoles.

I reside in these

shoe.jpg

but i see that it won't last much longer. Well there will be another outdoor market soon.

_Mayday_ said:

Ehhhhhhhhhh, they are so so. Keep in mind I have a shoe insert from my doctor to keep my foot aligned with my ankle which adds padding. The shoe alone might be kinda rough to walk in for long periods. I'd just buy some sort of non-corrective insert and add it in there if you're going to walk around much.

Kurdt said:
They're awfully cheap and fall to bits in minutes and not all that comfortable really. Try the race bred trainers, they're so comfortable its unbelievable and th quality is excellent. I've literally worn my adidas ones every day for 3 years and they're still going.

Addidas are one of my favorite shoes, but sadly all the good ones have to be bought online.

_Mayday_ said:

I've always worn them with shorts, but cristo is right. I think the jeans would have to be rather slim to pull it off right. They can be normal too, but just not 'baggy'.

_Mayday_ said:
cristo said:
Sure, if you're going for the whole slim jean, indie boy look. Personally, I don't like converse, but I know a few people who love them.

I wear mine with jeans, even somewhat baggy jeans, though I'm not the fashion guru that Cyrus is and don't care that much.
As Cristo points out Converse are not exactly 'adult' fashion though they have a more 'mature' style called https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=jack+purcell+sneakers&tag=pfamazon01-20 (as opposed to Chuck Taylor's).
As for comfort, it depends on your taste I guess. They are very light shoes. My friend describes them as like wearing socks with soles on.

Pumas are pretty good shoes, that's coming from a girls perspective, so I hope that's ok. They go well with fitted jeans and a a nice preppy-ish shirt.