What is boutique line binning in MPU production?

• Thread starter Sci.Jayme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silicon
In summary, the conversation was about the binning process in the semicon industry, specifically MPU binning techniques. One of the techniques mentioned was "boutique line binning," which involves pushing a line (L gate?) further to produce higher FMax bin silicon at the cost of power and expense. This technique is used by some CPU manufacturers. To learn more about product binning, you can refer to this Wikipedia article.
Sci.Jayme
Hi all.

A little while ago I overheard my cousin chatting with a friend who works in the semicon industry about the binning process. He was specifically talking about MPU binning techniques in use nowadays and I overheard him mention something to the sound of "boutique line binning". :confused:

I have no idea what it is, but I only remember scant notes of what he mentioned - something to do with pushing some sort of line (L gate?) further to produce higher FMax bin silicon at the cost of power and expense (usually the expensive models/power consuming by any MPU MFG).

I've searched online and not found reference to this anywhere. Can someone explain to me what this is and provide a reference to study about it?

Also how is it possible to distinguish if this technique is being used on a CPU, after production by an individual? Are there telltale signs?

Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is silicon binning?

Silicon binning is a process used in the semiconductor industry to sort and classify silicon wafers based on their electrical and optical properties. This process is important in ensuring that only high-quality wafers are used in the production of electronic devices.

2. Why is silicon binning necessary?

Silicon binning is necessary because not all silicon wafers have the same electrical and optical properties. Binning allows for the selection of wafers with similar properties, which is crucial for achieving consistent performance in electronic devices.

3. How does silicon binning work?

Silicon binning involves sorting wafers based on their measured properties, such as leakage current, voltage breakdown, and light sensitivity. This is usually done using automated equipment that can quickly and accurately test multiple wafers.

4. What are the benefits of silicon binning?

The main benefit of silicon binning is the production of high-quality electronic devices with consistent performance. Binning also allows for the identification and removal of defective wafers, reducing the likelihood of product failures and increasing overall yield.

5. Are there different types of silicon binning techniques?

Yes, there are different types of silicon binning techniques, such as visual inspection, electrical testing, and photoluminescence imaging. Each technique has its advantages and is used depending on the specific application and requirements of the semiconductor manufacturer.